Need a 8" x 26mm OD tube of AL or composite to repair a kayak paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a 8" x 26mm OD tube of AL or composite to repair a kayak paddle

A poorly designed kayak paddle with carbon shafts failed at the crappy plastic center joint. I need a new joint ferrule. The tubes are 26mm ID 1.5mm wall. Short of taking a oversize piece of 6061 stock and turning and boring it, does anyone have a good idea? I have not found a useful 26mm tube online. Keep in mind I already got a better one for $120 and this would be a backup/guest paddle so no heroic pricing like buying a 16' length of stock.

I thought of taking 1" OD 0.65 wall 6061 tube and wrapping it with a low compressibility film tape like polyester to get a good fit. Packing tape might work.
    Last edited by gellfex; 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM.

Wow how much are these paddles new? and could you not make it from modern nylon etc? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have 1" with a .25" wall or .125 wall or solid 6061 if you need it.

Comment

Make it yourself. You can buy fiberglass tape in various widths and you can spiral-wrap it around a former to make a tube. In your case you might use the oar itself as the former. The removable part of the oar would be wrapped in baking paper to act as a release and to create a small gap so the parts can be assembled and disassembled easily. The oar handle part would be roughed up and that part of the ferrule would be permanently bonded to it.

Making a tube this way you get a feel for the angle to wrap the tape so it doesn't overlap, then you wrap the second layer in the opposite angle, the third layer same as the first except it starts 90 degrees from the start of the first layer, etc.

You're free to use fiberglass tape, kevlar tape, or carbon fiber tape, and you could choose ordinary resin or epoxy resin. When you have enough layers on you would remove the paddle from the handle and then trim the tube.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Hmmm - what brand paddle GF?

if the blades are good I might be willing to buy it from you, im looking for one broke in the center for a project/invention

But if your just into saving it as a spare just turn a piece down and crude bore it - how long does that really take?

then get some epoxy that has a little flex to it and use for the bonding, set up one side first half way in and let harden - then do the other, that way you will be sure your piece is centered.

I would not create anything on the outside to keep the shaft the same size all the way - this way you don't wear at your skirt or catch your teeth with it (if your doing whitewater)

your right they should not have used plastic there.

if it's not that old you can always try to get ahold of the company and raise a stink - I got a replacement that way.

Comment

3/4 sch 40 pipe (1.062 od x.109 wall) should get you pretty close at 26.9 mm. Could probably find a small piece on ebay perhaps. or...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegatha-3...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-ft-3-4-...ID-6/204485893
            Last edited by fishfrnzy; 10-23-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              Hmmm - what brand paddle GF?

if the blades are good I might be willing to buy it from you, im looking for one broke in the center for a project/invention

But if your just into saving it as a spare just turn a piece down and crude bore it - how long does that really take?

then get some epoxy that has a little flex to it and use for the bonding, set up one side first half way in and let harden - then do the other, that way you will be sure your piece is centered.

I would not create anything on the outside to keep the shaft the same size all the way - this way you don't wear at your skirt or catch your teeth with it (if your doing whitewater)

your right they should not have used plastic there.

if it's not that old you can always try to get ahold of the company and raise a stink - I got a replacement that way.
              It's 4 years old. I sent an email, and got no reply. Wasn't expecting it, so then I slagged them on Cabelas. I did just what you and fishfrnzy recommend years ago when I cut down an old teaspooned whitewater paddle for my son to use, made a jig and bondo-ed the halves on the AL ferrule. I also made a 3 pc breakdown with another worn down paddle using stainless buttons locks, which is what I'll use for this one. I don't currently have a piece of that 3/4 sch 40 pipe, and wondered what else might work. But maybe I should just get a 8" AL nipple from McM for $10 to work with so I don't have to buy a length+shipping. Do local plumbing suppliers have that? I've never seen it.

Sorry, I want to keep it, it wasn't that bad a paddle as far as flatwater goes, 33 oz, but the polyethylene blades flexed too much. My new one has glass reinforced poly blades and it's much stiffer. 30 oz with carbon shafts and only $120 with a newfangled ferrule that not only adjusts to any angle but can telescope 15 cm. The same paddle with carbon blades weighing only 3 oz less was like $300.

Comment

yeah sounds like a good second beater to have, im looking for carbon fiber blades for my prototype anyways, I have one that's in tact but too good to cut up for my experiment.

if you have a game room or similar you could always turn it into a unique ceiling fan, old drive motors are everywhere,

shc. 40 would not even come close to working for the type of stuff I do - would be a wiggle worm in the middle even shc. 80 would not work for too long, you should be able to find something in a scrap yard or whatever just keep your eyes open as it does not sound like an emergency...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  shc. 40 would not even come close to working for the type of stuff I do - would be a wiggle worm in the middle even shc. 80 would not work for too long, you should be able to find something in a scrap yard or whatever just keep your eyes open as it does not sound like an emergency...
                  I don't understand, are you saying schedule 40 would not work as a joint ferrule on a paddle for the type of paddling you do? I can't imagine a sch 40 pipe being weaker than a 1.5mm carbon tube. If the ferrule is long enough and the fit good, wiggle should be minimal. Almost all flatwater paddles are 2 pc these days. The Bending Branches paddle I just got has no wiggle at all with it's unique joint.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood - was thinking the plastic electrical shc. 40 or 80 and yeah that stuff would bend and then snap first time out im sure but I think he must have been talking steel or aluminum or something?

Comment

Yes, we were all talking about AL sch 40. In fact I'll probably bore it out to a 0.60 wall. Plenty strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X