Interesting Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Book

Found an old book in my father-in-laws basement over the weekend. He was not a machinist, he was a laborer foreman building Interstate highways. I suspect he found it in a house that was in the way of a road someplace!

Anyway it was published by International Correspondence Schools as a text book and is titled: Planer Work, Shaper and Slotter, Milling Machine Work, Gear Calculations, Gear Cutting, Grinding, Toolmaking. Gotta love the short title! Looks like one of those books that Lindsay Publications would have done reprints from.

Except for a water stain near the binding on the first three mostly blank pages it is nearly perfect, in a slightly torn plain brown dust cover. Inside the front cover is a little bookmark titled: How to open a new book. From the copyright notices, which end in 1913, and the bookmark that has a number that looks like a date of 11/08/16 I would say this book is about 100 years old, and the pages are still very stiff!

Paged through it a bit. Funny to see heavy use of fractions instead of decimals. Until the physics of the real world change lots of the stuff is still the same today. Some of the stuff I'd like to learn, like lapping.

I actually have this book. It is quite useful. Not quite up to the Colvin and Stanley, but really close.

Comment

This has been around long enough to be apparently public domain. You can read it or get a PDF download of it for free on google books here:

GOOGLE BOOK LINK

Comment

Very interesting. Looks like it was scanned in from a copy in slightly poorer condition than the one I have.

Comment

I love those old ICS books. Informative but terse and usually well illustrated. Generations of people earned their groundings in the many trades and skills covered in the ICS courses. In a small way they may have benefited the WW II War Effort or even shortened it thanks to the backgrounding and skills of the factory workers and service people.

I have a small collection of my own each about like a skinny pocket novel, cheaply printed, on unsized stock.

The curious might look into the history and legacy of the ICS. Who knows, your ancestors may be allumni and indirectly given you your start.

Comment

Working...
          X