OT: gas fireplace problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also....

No idea if those have any sensors like the "rollout" sensors on furnaces. Those are thermal trips that open if fire is anywhere it should not be. They are not immortal, nor is the wiring to them. If open, the power to the main valve is blocked.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip View Post
      Would cost at least $75 in the UK for a Gas fitter to tell you "It can't be fixed, obsolete, you will need a new fire at $600 fitted". Theoretically, pain of death if you try to fix your own gas faults over here.

Regards Ian.
      I have witnessed a gas fitter taking the main board out of a combi boiler, telling the homeowner it was dead, going out to the van, sticking it in a bag, taping it bringing it back in and trying to charge for a new board, it was disgusting, I was there to measure up for drawings for an extension, so I was walking about, and saw the event from the garden, I asked the lady for a word about the extension and told her, she didn't know what to do so I told her to tell the plumber to refit the broken board and she would talk to her husband about a new boiler, he went back to the van and pulled the "duff" board out of the bag and brought it back in, fortunately he didn't have a matching dud board in the van as refitting the existing one was the scam, he plugged it back in and left, I gave a mate a ring, he came and fitted a universal thermostat tube for £35, inc labour, the rouge plumber was trying to squeeze her for £600 plus labour!, for her own part! it turned out a universal thermostat tube was about £5.
      There are some dodgy people about.
      In the uk I get parts from these, very good service
      https://www.bes.co.uk/index.asp
      Mark

Comment

The pilot is lit. The pilot stays lit. I don't hear a click or smell gas. The wall switch is not connected to 117V power; rather, it switches the thermopile voltage (about 1.5v). I replaced the thermopile last year with one from HD, about $15. The gas valve has 3 positions: OFF, PILOT, ON. It is in the ON position.

metalmagpie

Comment

Fixed! Wiggled the wire that goes to the wall switch. Thanks! My wife really wanted to call a repair guy.

metalmagpie

Comment

Gotta love that! We forget about the simple stuff. When I'm working on a boiler I short the thermostat wire to make sure that's not the problem.

BTW, not all water heater thermocouples are those generic $10 ones. Bradford White uses these fancy ones that generate a microcurrent to run their control electronics and costs like $80.

Comment

Great news! Plus big points with the wife, gotta love it!

Comment

Well that was the nest place to look, as several mentioned, so good on you.

Not that I grudge the repair folks their money........ But I saw once a saying (someone's sig line elsewhere) that said "If you can't fix it, you don't own it". I totally agree with it.

If you can't fix it, you are totally at the mercy of others, who may do something as underhanded as what Boslab reported.

Example: Used to be that repair folks for a certain brand furnace, one that started with an "R" as I recall, were notorious for doing a "fall clean" on the furnace.... and if the house was inhabited by a "little old lady", they would take the furnace apart, and then announce that it was unsafe, and they were forbidden to put it back together, it had to be replaced. Well, with it cold out, and the furnace in pieces, guess what? It worked a lot of the time.

I understand that has been stamped out, and the company is now entirely reputable, by the way.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I'll chime in since I work on this sort of thing. First off yes a bad connection will interfere with it working. Now this system works on a millivolt system around 750Mv max. A dirty connection will cause problems. Since you said the piolet stayed on when the control was moved to ON. I'm going to say you have 2 thermocouples. One supplies power to the piolet safety system and one to the ON/OFF system. The larger 750Mv thermocouple could be getting week. and not supplying enough power to over come a dirty connection.

Comment

Working...
                  X