X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by CalM View Post
    If the thermo couple is defective, the pilot will NOT remain lit. So that is out.
    Yup

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I've seen (at the neighbor's) a mis-located thermocouple put out the pilot even though it was seen to be burning when checked. It was out when checked later. The thing would heat up but then quit. Moving it fixed the problem.

If the pilot is truly seen to be lit WHEN the thing will not light, then there is a different issue, yes. If it was lit and then after a bit it would not light the main burner, then re-check the pilot.

If the pilot stays lit, is still lit when the refusal to turn on is noted, then the valve may have a problem, the burner is messed up (obstruction in the jet), etc.

DO YOU SMELL GAS even though it does not light? If you do, then there is some foulup in the mixing tube, and you won't like it when it does light!

If you do not smell gas, then.......

The power to the valve may not be on

Power to the valve may be interrupted by a bad wire, bad connection, etc.

The orifice may be plugged.

The gas valve may be defective

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Remove the thermocouple connector and buff up the contact, put back on. This has worked for me more than once.

Leave a comment:

• CalM
    replied
    If the thermo couple is defective, the pilot will NOT remain lit. So that is out.

But, if the device is mis-located, Or if there is draft in the area due to a leaking sight window seal, the burner may not light even though the pilot is burning.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That sense tube is normally a thermocouple, when the flame hits it, it generates a small voltage, and operates a device that allows the main valve to open in the control. If that does not operate, the main gas valve cannot stay open, and the unit will not work.

The thermocouples go bad after a few years, since they are at a near red heat for the whole season, and may need replaced. They also may be located in the wrong spot and not get hot enough to work. I have moved them as little as 1/16" or 1/8" lengthwise, and had them start working. Ditto for how far they are sideways into the flame.

You can try moving it, or just replace it. They are not expensive, and the box stores have them.

Leave a comment:

• CalM
    replied
    I assume that after lighting the pilot, the control valve dial has been turned to the "normal operation" position.

I ask, as I had to replace the wall heater this past winter and the new unit has the control knob turning the opposite way of the old device after lighting the pilot. I had to read the instruction card that is hung on a chain from the control unit.

Cold air coming, frost tonight. Time to get these heaters going!

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Is the pilot flame hitting the sense tube? Is the other end of the tube screwed tightly into the valve?

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    started a topic OT: gas fireplace problem

OT: gas fireplace problem

I have an in-wall gas fireplace. I shut it off during the warm weather, but this time it isn't coming back correctly. The pilot light lit and burns fine. The fireplace is controlled by a wall switch. But when I switch it on, nothing happens. That is, the pilot is lit but the main gas valve doesn't seem to be opening.

Ideas?

metalmagpie
Working...
X