No announcement yet.

OT - Toilet Plumbing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using brass toilet bolts and nuts instead of the brass plated junk that comes with the toilet can alleviate the need for cutting the bolts and possible damaging the porcelain.

Comment

My wife was telling me yesterday that we just got a sewage bill for a place we own. I was there one day and flushed the toilet as I was leaving. The flap stuck open and the toilet ran wide open. I happened to go back there a few days later and heard the water running. We had already gotten the large water bill and since the place has a sewer, now the large sewage bill.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
        7 gallons per flush? Is it designed for elephant poop or what?
        Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tank that would hold anywhere near that but I read that some toilets from before 1980 were like that and older ones could even be 8 gallons! Wow.

Here in Virginia we have local rebates for updating old toilets, too. We went to dual-flush as well.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
          Using brass toilet bolts and nuts instead of the brass plated junk that comes with the toilet can alleviate the need for cutting the bolts and possible damaging the porcelain.
          At least in my area, brass will also corrode (more slowly than plated) - so I go with Korky brand USA-made stainless hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/Korky-464BP-U...5793668&sr=8-2

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

7 gallons per flush? Is it designed for elephant poop or what? No wonder you are running out of water in California.
            Even less water is enough annoying if you have to hold your one-eyed snake with one hand while sitting down to prevent it drowning.

AFAIK large flush around here is 1 gallon and small flush 1/2" gallon. But the throne is different design too.
            The optimum quantity of water depends on a lot of things, including the slope from toilet to the sewer line. An unexpected side effect of low flow toilets was that the sewage treatment plants were needing to add fresh water to their intake stream in order to have it flow through their system as designed. Or so I've read.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Plastic fill valves and flap release valves instead of brass plungers balls and copper syphons is asking for trouble - no wonder an earlier poster only expected 35 yrs life. Wish my parents had left the high level bell one but lower level was all the rage 60 years ago. PStech I suggest you fit fit an inline valve on the fill and slow it down to a couple of minutes at least then leaks and problems will be more controlled, unless your curries are so bad you need rapid response. Lucky you were in when it failed.

Comment

Use a Dremel with the cut off zip blades,may use a few blades but their cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by enl View Post
                  If the house is 25 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if the flange is plastic (ABS used to be common in my region, PVC is now).

I would avoid a torch, or the problem may turn into changing the flange rather than the ring, unless you can confirm for sure that the flange is metal.

When you replace it, be sure to use brass closet bolts rather than steel, and maybe a tad of antisieze with the nuts, if the nuts are steel.
                  Wise man - worth bringing this back up, I would never use heat in this situation for all kinds of reasons, it might take time messing with it but time well spent as it's one of those "ounce of prevention" things

Comment

Working...
                  X