No announcement yet.

Automatic rising bollard design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun project. Being an electrical guy I would probably go the acme thread and window lifter motor route.
    Add a gas spring to offset the weight, some Igus plastic for low friction and design it such that all entering water washes out any dust to a gravel bed below.

All the hydraulic solutions sound fun as well, but I have no skills in designing something that would not start to leak for a decade.

It doesn't have to be proper heavy weight, as long as it looks strong and substantial people will not try to ram it with their vehicle.

Comment

Another alternative is a cable, or chain and an electric winch. Attach a hefty weight on the cable so when it unspools, the cable goes to the ground and doesn't foul inside the winch. Hefty cemented in steel posts to anchor it at both ends.

Thieves and vandals are such a nuisance....

Comment

Many good ideas and intelligent comments here, thank you all, I'm still undecided and will think on it awhile, I liked the rotating barrier idea, also the low pressure water hydraulic version, I never thought of making the piston/ram the actual bollard, the lifting chain seems quick and easy to do, my problem is as ever too many choices!, I'm like the Mrs in a shoe shop.
        Thank you for your ideas, I'm grateful.
        I managed to sketch an idea earlier, a tubular rising pipe driven by gate linear actuator, I found a kit that came with 2 actuators, control box, 2 key fob controls, rolling code, for $200, the tube would have the linear inside, 900 MM travel, I dare say a few more will follow
        Thanks
        Mark

Comment

Don't overlook water as a hydraulic fluid, it's been used for domestic passenger lifts, using your tap water supply as the fluid power can work if your pressure is adequate, the used water can be re-cycled for non-drinking purposes,

- Nick
          If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Bollards do not stop people carrying things.

Gates do, assuming there is a fence to go with the gates.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
              Make a sturdy iron gate and operate it like a draw bridge to drive over.
              And I'd have the bridge lay down over a ditch that is wide enough and deep enough to stymie a 4x4 vehicle just driving through it to avoid the gate. It doesn't take a whole lot of a ditch to do this and it wouldn't be like it's dangerous to pedestrians that could easily navigate such a feature.

How you activate the bridge would be up for grabs and depend on which sort of actuator systems you consider easier to work with an maintain. I'm leaning towards winches with cable mounted on top of side posts and which draw the gate/bridge up to expose the ditch. They still require power and some sort of control system but at least you don't need a hydraulic pump as well. Although an advantage of cylinders and a pump is that you could easily arrange a bypass to lower the bridge and even a manual pump to raise it again. Or leave it down until power is restored.

You've apparently got some equipment to aid in moving earth around so digging the vehicle denial ditch shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Whatch' think?

It's a sad situation when you've got video of the low lifers in the act and the police are that disinterested in doing their proper duty. It's like society has accepted that such criminals are just part of modern living and we should just tolerate it. And i've seen what happens when someone in Britain actually tries to defend their property and life. The courts ruined the poor guy. So all you've got left is to turn your home into a fortress.

Sadly we aren't that far from the same level of idiocy over here in Canada.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Bollards do not stop people carrying things.
                Yeabut bollards is what the OP asked about.

But if gates are being considered there is quite a long list of possibilities: Gates that flop down flat, gates that swing, gates sliding aside on rails and so on but one of my favourites is gates that swing up.

Of course if you wanted to build a wall, which I dont think the OP wants to do, you can set a garage door in the wall which looks a bit weird but is very effective.

Comment

I like the gate that swings up too. There is one like that at our storage building complex.

Another thing that might help is to put a covering over the gate so no one driving by can see into the property and see if there is something they want without stopping the car, getting out and looking over the fence and gate.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Boslab stated they would have to walk 300ft with everything they try to take and then load up on the road side. It would be easier to drive to the next target where they can load up the van out of view.
                    A gate is nice, but a bollard says f*ck you.

Add some radar sensor triggered spot lights blasting from a long distance away, people don't like it when they can't see what they triggered.
                    Then again, if starts to look too protected they start assuming there's something of value to get.....

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                      Boslab stated they would have to walk 300ft with everything they try to take and then load up on the road side. ....
                      Does not seem like that........ He said it would be "easy" ......

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                      ....they are where my shop is adjacent to the highway, they are to prevent cars and (esp) vans entering the property, ..... it's about300 feet away from my house so it's easy to just drive in, load up and drive off, ....
                      It seems it is the GATE that would force the 300 foot walk..... twice, and then another 300 feet twice to carry out the load. That's if there is a fence.

He DID say it was steeper than he really wanted for a sliding gate, but not at all impossible. A "rolling" gate on rails would be easier than a "sliding" gate, but he may view those as the same.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I like the swing up gate. But it's lacking the big spiky things that will pin the car in place pending the police arriving....

Bollards sinking into the ground in any manner will require a drain system and a place for that water to drain into. And that's just one more reason why it's a lot of work. And with anything we look at being out in the weather maintenance is an issue. So easy access to the components in lousy weather (like it's going to fail during nice warm days? I THINK NOT ! ! !) is a big plus. That suggests an above ground mechanism.

The sliding gate that slides in a track along the fixed fence is likely to be one of the cheaper alternatives and does not require any swing area. A big plus. And an above ground setup of this sort becomes easier to unlock and manually move WHEN the power setup fails due to a mechanical or electrical issue or simply due to the power being off. And all in all it would be cheaper to make or to buy such a rig since side rolling fences are not uncommon.

But there's something to be said for the "drawgate" and ditch... Especially a ditch that will fill with water. Stocking it with alligators seems like the next logical step....
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I built my 40' hanger door with 4 10' steel panels like a giant bifold door. 2 20' sections hinged in rhe center hung off the 6x6 post welded to a 3"x5" angle iron which I made to adjust for sagging which it's never sagged or needed adjustment in 16 years. You could make 4 panels all fold one way & work it with a chain drive garage door opener. Or get German Shepards & 12 gauges, I have a sign in the drive a friend from the UK that moved here then retired to S America gave me that says "If you can read this, you're in range" & I shoot a lot anyway so thieves driving by might keep driving who knows. Only problem I ever had was a MIG welder was stolen but at the time I thought he was a friend. How about a steel bar ot I beam counter weighted & simple winch on the short heavy end. Horror Fright over here sells a remote winch control cheap or you could do a post & key from the car thing. Kind of like the wood ones used in the war. Many good ideas everyone has given.
                          Last edited by flylo; 10-27-2016, 07:09 AM.

Comment

AS most crim's that raid workshops use a van of some sort to load the gear into they also like to get it as close to the workshop as they can so how about a bollard that comes up after the vehicle has entered and keeps them there or there vehicle until police arrive------- that maybe not such a great idea if you're on the wrong side of fifty. but the water powered bollard is a good one, the old boy up the road from me has his rotary clothes line lift up about three feet just on the mains water pressure. It just has stainless tube liner inside some galve pipe and leather cup washer, you can run a 12 volt solenoid valve off a infrared beams or a keypad to open and close perhaps a small regulated solar panel to keep the battery charged

Comment

I have the solution!
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZwbDj7sQM

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

this one is also good! No trial needed for the driver! Just a spatula to peel him off the sheetmetal!
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbyKQywm0Qg

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X