No announcement yet.

Allen-Bradley power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me there was heck of some over engineering done on that application, to use such a high priced SMPS. P.S. such as A.B. to operate a brake is a little OTT.
    Historically A.B. (now Rockwell) have often used existing devices/components and relabeled them under license in these cases.
    Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
      To me there was heck of some over engineering done on that application, to use such a high priced SMPS. P.S. such as A.B. to operate a brake is a little OTT.
      Historically A.B. (now Rockwell) have often used existing devices/components and relabeled them under license in these cases.
      Max.
      Yes and no.

A previous owner may have obtained it cheap, surplus, etc.

For OEM applications (which this is not), it's a canned solution, and an OEM gets it a lot cheaper. SMPS are getting to where they are cheaper than "heavy iron" power supplies.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

May be cheaper, but when I install a system for a customer, I am more concerned with reliability and in most cases the few extra $ for putting together a simple DC supply with a couple of components is worth it to me.
        I have systems I have installed over the last 40yrs that are still plugging away and rarely, if ever hear from.
        I have also replaced OEM installed SMPS that have failed, with a simpler linear supply. Regulated linear versions can also be made or obtained if necessary.
        A customer with a production machine down is usually not concerned with a few $$ here nor there.
        Max.

Comment

Working...
        X