VIDEO: Shop Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: Shop Tour

Recently did a video showing around the shop, in its current state. Before you complain about the wandering blur, that's the YouTube blur enhancement tool and I completely give up trying to fix it. Don't know why I bothered, the only information you can get from a license plate is make and model of the car, and besides people already see my license plate every time I drive the car!

I also don't care to have a another debate about video orientation, the self-shot parts are that way because it's the only way to get the framing the way I liked it without having much longer arms or one of those stupid selfie sticks. If I do this again I'll go ahead and use my "real" camera. Turns out my cell phone camera isn't very well suited for this.

Feel free to complain about my face though!

https://youtu.be/ttpEzBwu2Ow
    Max
    http://joyofprecision.com/

Thanks for posting, always interesting to have a peek in another workshop. One suggestion. Don't buy any more collets

Comment

Agree, always so interesting to see other shops and equipment, thanks for posting this.

Comment

"Don't buy any more collets"...... Understatement.....

You do seem to have cornered the market on the somewhat rare 4NS etc. Lot's of folks with 608s that are wishing they found the sources you have. (not me, mine takes 5C)

And lathes..... clearly you don't need any more of them either. Although, you might be able to fit in a 10EE. I think you need one..... You can justify it as a means to fix up the other lathes!
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Nice shop. Enjoy it.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            "Don't buy any more collets"...... Understatement.....

You do seem to have cornered the market on the somewhat rare 4NS etc. Lot's of folks with 608s that are wishing they found the sources you have. (not me, mine takes 5C)

And lathes..... clearly you don't need any more of them either. Although, you might be able to fit in a 10EE. I think you need one..... You can justify it as a means to fix up the other lathes!
            You know, J, I like the way you think, and I couldn't agree with you more. This isn't the first time I've thought about getting my mitts on a 10EE... heck it's not even the hundredth time. Yessir, that's right up there near the top of my dream lathe list.

Here's the shameful part... I didn't show another 2 lathes that are in the shop. There's a 6" Craftsman/Atlas that I've been fixing up for a buddy of mine, it used to be his grandfather's. There's also a tiny dead center lathe known as a jacot tool, that is just a couple inches between centers and is held in a small vise when it needs to be used. I'll have to remember to get out the jacot tool for a future vid.

Regarding the collets, I fully realize how fortunate I am. The great part is that there's not as much redundancy as it might seem at first, not only are there 3 types (the 4NS, the 5NS, and the unmarked ones that are close to but not quite 5C), but there are square, hex, and octagonal in addition to round. There's also a selection of metric and decimal inch in addition to fractional inch. Then the step collets (or bezel chucks, pot collets, whatever you want to call them). For the machines I plan to have up and running at once, I've got a nice set of fractional inch round sizes to go with each of them, then the more odd-ball ones to use when needed, without much excess. Between the 4-5 machines I plan on having going at once, and the milling attachment (which takes 4NS collets), I think I can keep the collet collection pretty busy.
            Max
            http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Working...
            X