OT: Recent changes in forum behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Recent changes in forum behavior

Up until maybe a month ago, if I read some threads and refreshed the page, those thread titles no longer showed up in bold, and the "go to first unread post" icon disappeared. But then it changed so that the title stayed bold, and the "go to first read" would sometimes go to the first post, or to some other post after others that were unread. After some period of time, all threads before a certain time showed up as having been read, and others in bold would usually work properly for "go to first unread post".

In the last few days, I started receiving email notifications of new posts, and that had not been working for a very long time (many months or a year or so). I am running Firefox on a Win8 machine. Other forums seem to work as expected, although MEM has not sent email notices of new posts for a long time.

Just a minor annoyance. Anyone else experience this or other anomalies?
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

WIN10 + Chrome or Edge or Explorer - no changes.

Comment

Win 7 / firefox, nothing odd seen here.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

No problems here.
        Did you try logging out then logging back in?

Comment

I just tried that. I had closed the tab and re-opened, but I had not logged out. That reported that all cookies were cleared, and that is probably the culprit. But I think the restored email notifications of new posts may be something else. Thanks for the idea - WDITOT?
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Paul - you picked up a nasty bug - one of the worst called the wigworm and given the name due to the fact that its eating all your brains out of your computer,

send me a PM - I will give you an e-mail where you can send me some of your private information, we will fix this thing together - not going to be cheap but better than it totally draining your bank account - I will need that number too to set up a firewall - or whatever, act quick Buddy - time is a wasting...

Comment

It's Hillary. You're lucky you are still alive!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

After logging off and back on, the forum seems to be back to normal - but - it seems to have broken the notify function.
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Nothing different here. Chrome and Win 7 pro. There has been some serious internet denial of service attacks last few days and week. It was big enough to totally shut shut down some of the biggest ISPs there are. It is apparently a new type of attack. Somebody is using everything/anything online type machines such as any appliance of any kind that is net connected, camcorders or whatever that is any sort of network connected device. Somebody has figured out how to hack these very stupid little gadgets remotely to just send out pings at a total rate measured in the terabits per second. They are testing to see just how well they can turn off the internet. Sounds to me like something at a state level.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    It's Hillary. You're lucky you are still alive!
                    You forgot to replace the 1st l with a t

Comment

No changes to the forum have been made and i haven't heard of any problems from others.

Since the notify function goes through your email, it's likely that any differences are related to filtering in your system or by your provider. Since we send out a large volume of email, our addresses sometimes end up on spam lists. Try looking in your spam/junk folders to see if the notices are landing there.
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

The forum seems to be back to normal, including the notification emails, which just seemed to be delayed.

I did experience an internet outage, IIRC between 1 and 2 AM Monday morning. But that affected everything, and probably was maintenance on the server.
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

It may well have been the attacks that are going on. It shut down things like Facebook and even Twitter. It shut down most of the East Coast more than once and for up to half an hour at one point. Everyone is denying any sort of responsibility except one shadowy hacker gang. Of course nobody is going to somehow prove they did it since that would give them away.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                          X