Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Table saw bearing id different from what it's number says it should be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    Never would have guessed that they would mix metric and inch dims on the same part. Go figure.
    I have a can full of hardware that is UNC with Metric heads. So why not . :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

Thanks guys, got lucky and found them on fleabay. Lot of 2 for $4.59 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130820405197
      Never would have guessed that they would mix metric and inch dims on the same part. Go figure.
      "They" have been doing that for many years. Ford used a metric OD bearing with a 1/2" bore in the starters and generators beginning in 1919 for at least the rest of the Model T era (through 1927).

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
        Oh you can find them all right, but they're not a common size. At the moment I have three different bearing catalogues on my shelves; FAG, SKF and NSK....not one of them shows a 16mm bore for any bearing...
        As I was walking past the assorted bearings in the local Peavey Mart store yesterday, I glanced over and saw 35mm x 11mm x 16mm bearings right next to the 35mm x 11 mm x .625 inch bearings.

Comment

Typical inch bore metric bearing. Nothing "special order" about it. Any bearing supplier should have it on the shelf or have in a day.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Thanks guys, got lucky and found them on fleabay. Lot of 2 for $4.59 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130820405197
            Let us know how the surface finish is on those bearings. Chances are the sides will look like they are fresh off the bandsaw. There are inexpensive Chinese made bearings, and then there are CHEAP Chinese made bearings.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
              I have a can full of hardware that is UNC with Metric heads. So why not . :-)
              ...lew...
              They heads are metric, too, they're just not whole numbers! lol

Comment

Working...
              X