OT: New Phone At Reasonable Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: New Phone At Reasonable Price

My cell phone company is upgrading their service and I have to choose a new phone. Up to now I have been using a simple flip phone and I use it for phone calls only. I don't surf the web with it. I haven't even activated the voice mail feature. I have only received text messages, never sent a single one. I can but I never had any reason to do so.

So I need to buy a new phone. I am considering purchasing some data capability so I can access the internet while I am out. I am not familiar with any other features that I should consider. I also plan to keep it as inexpensive as possible. The phones offered by the company seem to start around $35 and go up to the Iphone at about $749. I am probably going to be in the $50 to $150 price range.

https://www.puretalkusa.com/upgrade-...nes-online.php

Perhaps I can find one somewhere else with a better combination of features and price. I need an unlocked phone that I can insert their SIM card in. I know a lot of you use these phones on a regular basis and I wonder if you could give me any advise on this. Any additional features I should look for? Any great value purchases out there? One thing I would like is a decent camera.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

I have had a TracFone since 2008, and my present model is an LG306G, which is now less than $10:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...nutes/36202747

I usually buy a year of air time and 400 minutes (tripled to 1200) for about $100 ($8/month). It has a 2 MP camera, but I have never used it. Instead I have a Nikon Coolpix L22 that I use for still photos and video. It was less than $100. The current model is L31:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/188074875

I carry it in a case with my cell phone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logi...Black/52111319

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Many Nokias have fantastic cameras, but about half run Windows Phone OS. A good OS, but no one is developing for it. If you want the cool apps, you're stuck with Apple or Android phones.

One thing that will be _very_ useful is a MicroSD card slot. This will let you expand the memory or transfer things much faster when you need to.

Comment

For the past eight years I've been using PagePlus for my cell phone service. It's a pre-paid service that uses the Verizon network and has excellent coverage in my area. You can use most Verizon branded phones (but not the phones that Verizon sells for their own pre-paid plan). I'm cheap and don't use the cell phone much, so I use their $10 for 120 days plan and have over $60 in credit at the present time. As long as you add more minutes before the 120 days are up, the remaining time rolls over. Here's a link to their web site:

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

They have other plans with data for smart phones. If you have a Verizon phone this is a inexpensive way to go. Also some of the TracFone phones will work with PagePlus as they have the same ownership and use the same technology (CDMA).

Here's an interesting page about cheap pre-paid plans:

http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

Glenn
        So many projects . . . so little ambition! Arroyo Grande, CA

Comment

I use an LG K7. Perfect... cheap... My plan (T Mobile) is $40 a month, unlimited text/voice, 3G of LTE data and unlimited 3g rates. I never go over 1G. It has a uSD slot -I put in a 32G card and have over 500 albums of music on it. Has a decent camera also.

Make sure whatever you get uses Android 5.1x or greater. My K7 is 90% of an I-Phone 6 at 20% of the cost, and even less now. oh.. I kill phones a few times year... but This one is 8 months now!
          Last edited by lakeside53; 11-02-2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I've been using a pair of Samsung S4s for over a year and haven't had any problems, I chose the S4 Mini rather than full size models as I don't want a pocket sized phone which needs a special pocket ;-)

- Nick
            If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

You can also buy a used phone. Lots of people are dumping iPhone 5s or earlier in your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Perhaps I can find one somewhere else with a better combination of features and price. I need an unlocked phone that I can insert their SIM card in. I know a lot of you use these phones on a regular basis and I wonder if you could give me any advise on this. Any additional features I should look for? Any great value purchases out there? One thing I would like is a decent camera.
                I see that puretalk is selling the Galaxy S4 for $150. I used that phone for several years, and my wife is still using hers. It's an android phone, and works very well. It is expandable with a cheap micro SD card.

I'd recommend it. The only downside is that if you drop it the screen may break if you don't have it in a case that protects the corners. Once you add a case, it will withstand a 4 foot drop.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 on eBay (just make sure it is for your phone company: [email protected], Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.).
                  It has an Android operating system that you should start getting used to anyway (unless you prefer the highly proprietary Apple product with its overpriced accessories, etc.). It has an excellent display (a must for comfortable Internet browsing). And S5 is their last model that has a simple replaceable battery.
                  Mike
                  WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Wal-Mart straight talk has been my carrier and I can't complain. Most plans now accept any bodys phone

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      My cell phone company is upgrading their service and I have to choose a new phone. Up to now I have been using a simple flip phone and I use it for phone calls only. I don't surf the web with it. I haven't even activated the voice mail feature. I have only received text messages, never sent a single one. I can but I never had any reason to do so.

So I need to buy a new phone. I am considering purchasing some data capability so I can access the internet while I am out. I am not familiar with any other features that I should consider. I also plan to keep it as inexpensive as possible. The phones offered by the company seem to start around $35 and go up to the Iphone at about $749. I am probably going to be in the $50 to $150 price range.

I gave up my old flip phone for a Iphone 5s (got good deal-$100). The iphone is a good phone but may reactivate my old flip phone---gets better reception and less problems.

Comment

I had a similar problem when, first, my wife broke her $500 Samsung S5 and a week later, my S3 Mini stopped charging the battery. Battery replacement didn't fix it: it's a charging circuit problem.

I got us both Lumia 640's running Windows 8: they're $99 each purchased outright on Amazon and they worked with our AT&T SIM cards. Biggest phone I've ever had (actually a bit too big for me). People seem to not like Windows phones, but for the month I've had it, I have no complaints.

You can get this Lumia 635 from puretalk: https://www.puretalkusa.com/phones/P...okia-Lumia-635

Comment

We use Consumer Cellular. A while ago, my wife's flip phone died, so I bought the Motorola Gen3 from CC. Our plan has a small amount of data along with text. When we got the phone, got the sim card inserted and turned on, it wasn't 5 minutes we got a text from Consumers our data was used up. We didn't even have time to go through the setup to turn the data off, and it was gone. We found the history, google sucked it all down. We didn't even use anything on the phone!

She uses the phone for a phone (new concept) and text. If she wants internet, we have that at home.

Comment

If the only issue is the update, you can still get flip phones that will work. We have Verizon and I use a flip phone, an LG that is fine. Texts, etc, no issue. Camera is no prize, but whatever....

Why a flip phone?

Because the "smart phones" are huge, and if you put an "Otterbox" on them, they get "huger", but as they come, they are guaranteed to break if dropped. I have dropped the LG once or twice, and it doesn't even have a scratch on it It closes and is fully protected.

I have seen two ladies drop their iphones. In both cases the screen was shattered. My wife has an "otterbox" for hers, and it has fallen or been dropped a few times, but zero damage. But the cover doubles the bulk of the phone, and it is a rubbery material that is somewhat "non-slip". Hard to pull out of a pocket, or slip back in.

Because the smart phones are "yuuuuge" they don't fit in a pocket well even bare, and I refuse to carry one in a shirt pocket. Once you put the protective cover on, they really do not slip into a pocket, but the LG is fine, and I hardly know I have it.

Then also, the LG goes for a week without charging, unless used heavily. It will, when charged, make a 4 hour phone call (yes, that's what I said) and still have two bars of charge left. My wife has an iphone5, and it has to be charged every night. Same for the android phones others have. They would barely last two days if not even used, and that is with a lot of functions turned off.

One person I know got a samsung android phone a while back, which came with everything turned on by default. It would only run 6 hours. He turned almost everything off, and it at least lasted all day so he could charge it at night.

Would I like the facilities of a smart phone? Sure. Who wouldn't?

But I don't like them THAT much to put up with the hassles.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Interesting thread.

Maybe you guys can answer a question for me. I am now 76 years old and have have had both knees replaced about ten years ago. This makes it so I can't get up on my feet if I fall as the knee replacements don't bend back far enough. I can't get my feet under me if I fall (a common problem). I have had to call the fire department a couple of times to get me up after a fall even though I wasn't hurt. I want an inexpensive cell phone only and the ability to purchase a pre-paid service that RETAINS THE UNUSED TIME UNTIL IT IS USED UP. All that I find cancel the unused time after about three months and you have to buy more time. I only want to use this phone for emergencies ONLY, not to chat with or get e-mail. Is there anything like this out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X