No announcement yet.

OT: New Phone At Reasonable Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have puretalks family plan down to 1 line & $10 a month & over 8000 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
      It occurs to me that any cellphone without service will still work for 911 calls. As long as the phone still works. We give our old, working phones to a women's shelter for abused women to call 911 if the abuser shows up. Ask locally, it may work for you too.

Mike

That may be my solution! I have a small old phone given to me that I never use. I think I will charge it up and call 911 and see if it works. I just want to keep it with me in case I fall again, especially where I can't crawl to a phone and nobody is around.

Being the cheap Luddite that I am, I refuse to have a smart phone. I spent my life in sales having to answer and talk on phones so in my retired life I enjoy not being at the beck and call of anybody who can dial a number. I have an answering service on my Ooma Internet-based phone. If I want to talk to you I will answer your call or call you back. And the Ooma phone shows the number and often the name of the caller. That allows me to screen out anyone I am not interested in talking to including polls, surveys, and unsolicited sales calls. Life is peaceful and my time is my own to spend with my interests and my shop. And I already spend waay too much time on the Internet with my computer!

Bah! Humbug! : )

Planeman

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
        Just to cut the confusion about carriers: there's actually only 4 network providers. ATT, Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile. All these others are resellers, MVNO's.
        There are actually more than that, but you are right in that there are only the 4 national carriers. There are regional and local carriers too, but the big 4 have bought up a lot of them.

The regional and local carriers are using the frequencies designated for PCS (Personal Communications Service)**. The idea behind PCS was to have as many as a dozen companies providing cellular/communication service in metropolitan areas. Some of the companies were to provide communications for things like cash registers, police cars computers and so forth. Again, the big 4 have bought most of those companies in able to own those frequencies while squelching competition.

The resellers are an artificial market that was spawned by the need to make it look like there was still competition when, in fact, we have areas with only two major players.

Dan

** in order to create the blocks of radio space needed for the PCS networks, thousands of companies with private microwave links had to change to different frequencies. The cost to change all that equipment was enormous. It was considered worth it in order to provide the benefits of low cost cellular that competition would provide.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          I have been with Pure Talk for several years now and am quite happy with them. On their family plan I pay $25 per month for four lines.
          I guess it works for you having low minutes with no data capability at all. With a $10 data package you'd be at $35, very close to the $40 it would cost with Airvoice, but with Airvoice you'd be starting with 1000 total minutes before any credit got used for data, rather than your 160 minutes for 4 lines.

Comment

Have an LG505C slider, internet access is near usless because it won't handle large pages. Main problem however is inability to scroll through contacts or messages. Scrolls too fast and can't stop on the one you want. If you try to move slowly, it selects instead and calls the wrong person. Will never buy another LG.
            North Central Arkansas

Comment

Have used Go phones (ATT cheap plan) for self and wife past 5++ years, cost ~$9/mo per phone. My plan is $0.25 per minute, an older rip off charge but I
              rarely use my phone and the wife almost never. Flip phones basically. You kind of get roped into the phone over several yrs as the $ deposited cumulate
              as long as you keep refilling. Wife account is over $300 and mine ~$250. Best to consider it a rental fee if you ever change plans, though 'some' may
              transfer over you may 'lose it all'. From what I gather a smart phone upgrade would require an additional ($40/month or so) data plan on top of the basic
              monthly fee. It is nice when out on a long bike ride in unfamiliar territory to have someone along with a smart phone/GPS to locate where you are, but
              OTOH no smart phone screen is readable in direct sunlite IME.
              Steve

Comment

I don't know how much you talk on the phone, but I do it very little. And the same goes for the rest of my family. My wife is seldom out of the house and she uses the land line there. In fact, it is a major pain just to get her to turn her cell phone on. My son uses it less than 15 minutes a week. My mother has probably only made a half dozen calls in the two years that she has had her phone. But I like her to have it for emergencies. I just checked my minutes and it is not at over 10,000.

I am thinking of adding a data package to my phone for an additional $10 per month which will bring it up to $35 each month. Apparently their data package is applied on a line-by-line basis which is fine by me. I don't want my wife to even think about using if for her Facebook habit and my son can buy his own data time. I doubt that my mother would even give a second of thought about getting on-line unless that second thought was to prefix her first, two letter answer answer with the word "heck". Pure Talk works almost perfectly for me and frankly, I do not see any reason to change to Airvoice.

What I don't understand or like is that you have to pay separately for data usage. I mean, voice, messaging, internet, it is all air time and bandwidth. Why can't they just lump them all together.

Anyway, for the third time, I am looking for phones, NOT PHONE PLANS.

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                I guess it works for you having low minutes with no data capability at all. With a $10 data package you'd be at $35, very close to the $40 it would cost with Airvoice, but with Airvoice you'd be starting with 1000 total minutes before any credit got used for data, rather than your 160 minutes for 4 lines.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

So I need to buy a new phone. I am considering purchasing some data capability so I can access the internet while I am out. I am not familiar with any other features that I should consider. I also plan to keep it as inexpensive as possible. The phones offered by the company seem to start around $35 and go up to the Iphone at about $749. I am probably going to be in the $50 to $150 price range.
                  Of all the advice given so far, most has been in reply to someone else who had a different need.

If you can get a Galaxy S4 for $150 from your carrier, there's a good chance that you will end up happy. It has an screen that is readable in sunlight, and the screen is big enough for those of us with fat fingers. The battery is replaceable, and it uses a SIM card. The camera was the best of it's day. It uses the Lolipop version of android. When I upgraded to an S6 I kept my S4 (deactivated) to use as a small tablet connected to my wifi.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Anyway, for the third time, I am looking for phones, NOT PHONE PLANS.
                    You've gotten great suggestions for phones, but you don't really need any of them it seems. Why don't you try this: https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto.../dp/B0013A7KMW

One of the longest lasting charge and indestructible phones ever made. I have one floating around here as a backup.

Comment

Working...
                    X