Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Value of old coin-op riding animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more option is to donate them to a Childrren's Toy Museum. Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina has one in their Education Department with a Carousel horse, but there may something closer to you. It is indeed a cool piece of Americana before electronic toys, but the pool of buyers may be even less than for a large shaper with missing parts
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.
    Confucius (孔夫子)

Comment

I'd be surprised at anyone restoring them to full running operation. But who knows? Some Grandpa that enjoys tinkering might restore such a piece to working condition for a younger grandkid just to see the smile on their face if the price was right. Or it would be a helluva conversation piece in someone's larger party room.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Rudy is Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer BTW, not a horse ;-)

- Nick
        If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

A few years back a big box chain used to locate these near the checkouts, charging only 1 cent for a ride. I though that was great for the kids. I did my part by dropping a penny in as I would pass. It just about forced any nearby parents to allow their kids to ride. Also, it was kinda funny to see the animals moving with no rider. People would turn around and see it just going, and their baffled expressions were great.

The challenge with selling these online is the size - difficult to pack and expensive to ship.

Comment

They're anything but straight having recently come out of the closet after a long term relationship!
            Strange that the updated version of the English dictionary hasn't surfaced in the States since the Pilgrim Fathers edition.

The English interpretation of straight means NOT crooked, just like gay means happy and jovial. Pity that homosexuals have basterdised the English language to soften their genre.

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

You might check with the people that run this show:

http://www.chicagolandshow.com/

http://www.chicagolandshow.com/contact.htm

It's supposedly the biggest in the nation for coin operated machines. We used to go there when I was collecting pin ball and bowling games. They had every type of coin operated machine imaginable. Everything from gum and candy machines to slot machines rides, and arcade games. There were plenty of dealers and collectors looking for parts machines.

When all the relatives and neighbor kids grew up I sold all the machines to make room for my machine shop. That was in the 1990's and at that time a machine in working condition but not restored went for in the neighborhood of $300.00 to $500.00. Parts machines were going for $50.00 to $100.00 depending on the parts available and rarity of the machine. Those that had been fully restored to like new condition went for $1,200.00 to $3,500.00 depending on age and rarity.

There's always a market for these machines, even if it's only for parts. You can always subscribe to their mailing list or publications to see if there's anyone in your area that might be interested. If they're as rough as you think they probably aren't going to be worth a fortune. However thy might have just the parts a collector needs to finish restoring another otherwise incomplete machine

Comment

Turn them into mail box posts, wire them up so the ride starts as soon as the mail carrier opens the box.

Comment

Working...
                X