Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these called "lifting tongs"?

See pic:

Are these called lifting tongs? Any idea what they are worth? I'm helping out a friend sell her soon-to-be late husband's tools.

metalmagpie

Those are pallet clamps ,for pulling pallets.

Comment

Look like sheet/plate metal "grabs". AKA "slab tongs" for lifting sheet/plate material. Harder they pull the harder they grab.

Usable for anything like that

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

They are, often that type gets to pull sheet piling, they are a descendant of an ancient gadget called a "Lewis" or "chain Lewis" used on large stones, the tong variety became a logging staple, this is a scissors or compound type, could be used on pallets, sheet steel, anything that fits I suppose.
        The cam clamp is more usual on sheet, he'll of a grip.
        Don't know the spread of that one but saw one picking up railway line recently
        Mark

Comment

That style is for wood, as in a pallet. It has coarse teeth and not enough clamping leverage to be used on steel.

Comment

They definitely are not for lifting sheets of steel; they are designed with nubs on the jaws to dig into the center stringer of a pallet to drag it on the floor of a trailer to where a forklift can pick it up.

Comment

Yes.. palette puller only! If you had the original instructions they will say "not for overhead lifting". Value - not much. I had to give the last set I had away. Wasn't that they aren't useful; just nobody seemed to want them.

There are several sizes, but here's one for $35
              http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...content=143990
              Last edited by lakeside53; 11-05-2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Don't know the spread of that one but saw one picking up railway line recently
                Mark
                Rail tongs are similar, but don't have the grippers that these palette grabs do. They have a single ledge at the inside bottom of each jaw to get under the rail head. Manual ones have handles that stick out to the sides so two men can grab them, one to each side.

Tie tongs look a lot like ice tongs at the business end, but the manual ones have handles that stick out to the sides for a man to hold like manual rail tongs.

Beam lifting tongs have hooked ends to grab the beam flange

One style of stone setting tongs have bottoms that are basically steel angle the approximate length of the block to be set.

and so on. There are a LOT of types, of which I can name maybe half a dozen on sight.

The only time I have seen sheet lifted with this style rather than the cam style is when the sheet had a top edge the tongs could interlock to, like a formed lip, or a bead. But it is a wide world out there and I am but a single narrow mind.... Wait. that didn't come out right....

Comment

I stand corrected, I did not notice the studded interior of the jaw, however the reference to the chain Lewis is still the same
                  Rail tongs are similar, but don't have the grippers that these palette grabs do. They have a single ledge at the inside bottom of each jaw to get under the rail head. Manual ones have handles that stick out to the sides so two men can grab them, one to each side.
                  You'll know what a Gandy dancer is then!
                  Mark
                  Last edited by boslab; 11-05-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    Yes.. palette puller only! If you had the original instructions they will say "not for overhead lifting". Value - not much. I had to give the last set I had away. Wasn't that they aren't useful; just nobody seemed to want them.

There are several sizes, but here's one for $35
                    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...content=143990
                    Ah, enlightenment. I'll add it to the pile to go to Goodwill.

metalmagpie

Comment

Pallet puller,they also work for pulling concrete form stakes if you re-work the teeth a bit.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Yep, for grabbing pallets way inside a box truck and pulling back with a chain so the forklift can get to the. I have an identical set.

Don't take them to the good will, go by a feed store or similar place that handles a lot of palletized stuff. They will be glad to get the tongs.

Comment

Looks like it's used for steel track for rail roads

Comment

They go with the excavator in the back ground. I have used them countless times for pulling plywood shoring out of a ditch.

Comment

Working...
                            X