X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this picture?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacobs-Chuck...EAAOSwCGVX~Tt~

Stu

Idiots.... Look who's selling it. Not one familiar with tools I'd guess.

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

That is definitely a custom shank! It needs an end mill shank to fit in a mill, right?

Comment

It is quite possible that someone carefully ground a Jacobs chuck taper on an old endmill and did a decent job of it.

It's also quite possible it was ground on a bench grinder and hammered in.

Who's gonna take one for the team and find out?

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
          It is quite possible that someone carefully ground a Jacobs chuck taper on an old endmill and did a decent job of it.

If not for use, then for the wall as a conversation piece!
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Comment

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to own tools.

JL........

Comment

Just think how lucky you would be if you bought it as the ad states, it comes with a "custom made 3/4" shank"! You'd have one of a kind.
                Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Drat! The ad says "May not ship to Canada". Just my rotten luck!

Comment

Hi,

I tried to bid at 10 seconds. But my connection timed out and I missed. I thought it could be a great conversation piece.

Dalee
                    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                      Hi,

I tried to bid at 10 seconds. But my connection timed out and I missed. I thought it could be a great conversation piece.

Dalee
                      For $30 you can make your own conversation piece and still have enough money left for something useful.

Comment

I have a large floor model Delta drillpress. One of the older ones, vintage probably in the '40s or earlier. I got it when my employer junked it after many years of continual use. I have had it myself for forty years or so. I was surprised to find that instead of a MT by JT adaptor, at some point someone installed an MT by junked reamer adaptor. Chuck runs true and does not slip. I left it as found as changing would offer no improvement.

A custom shank made from a single end end mill might not be such a good idea though.
                        Jim H.

Comment

Comment

Now I HAVE seen everything.

Why? I mean even an idiot would find it easier to use a piece of 3/4" rod instead of an end mill cutter.

I wonder if he was trying to mill it out to accept a piece of rod and the end mill just got stuck in it. I have a tooth where the dentist was doing a root canal and the reamer (they call them points) broke off in it. He couldn't get it out and it is still in there. I guess he didn't have EDM.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              Why? I mean even an idiot would find it easier to use a piece of 3/4" rod instead of an end mill cutter.
                              Why? Why not?

It's already a piece of scrap, dead hard, and probably ground better than a tenth. Plus, it might even have a center hole in the back (useful for many things in my experience)

Looks like the work of a resourceful and humorous toolmaker to me! That it, if it was done properly on a OD grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X