Link belt direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link belt direction

I have been following the post about replacing a headstock belt with a link belt to avoid disassembly. So what is it! How do you determine the proper, if there is one, direction for a link belt. I've used one on my Logan from the motor to the countershaft without problem in both directions. It does squeal in reverse on the high range tho. Is there a recommended direction ? Thanks, Bob.

Found this on the Fenner website:

Comment

I have just posted another reply on the other thread referring to the Fenner site.
      I would fit the belt in the normal running direction, reverse is not used much on a lathe anyway.
      The belts with the metal pins look stronger than the Power Twist ones, though.
      Last edited by old mart; 11-07-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

"The belts with the metal pins..." What belts with the metal pins? Name? Web site? Who sells them? Input, please.

Originally posted by old mart View Post
        I have just posted another reply on the other thread referring to the Fenner site.
        I would fit the belt in the normal running direction, reverse is not used much on a lathe anyway.
        The belts with the metal pins look stronger than the Power Twist ones, though.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Nutlink is one tradename. Beware the cheap plastic stuff that has the gripping power of a layer of banana skin, though it can be an advantage if you want one as a safety measure in medium deep cuts. The older stuff was a sort of rubberised canvas like a fan belt and grips better.

Comment

"Brammer" belt

I get mine in the UK from Stationaryengineparts I beleive they also sell through fleabay.

Paul

Comment

Fenner do versions of belts with metal pins, this link should show the various options. http://www.fennerdrives.com/product-lines/hpc-v-belts/

I have a 70 year old Holbrook lathe that has such a belt type, and was equiped with that type from new. I hate to think what it would cost to replace them, as there are 5 belts, and they are each about 6 feet long.

Comment

Look on the Fenner site, there are several types shown.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  "The belts with the metal pins..." What belts with the metal pins? Name? Web site? Who sells them? Input, please.
                  The best link belts are made from leather. I had machines that had leather link belts that ran 8 hours a day the belts lasted for ever. Yes the links are held together with metal pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R View Post
                    Fenner do versions of belts with metal pins, this link should show the various options. http://www.fennerdrives.com/product-lines/hpc-v-belts/

I have a 70 year old Holbrook lathe that has such a belt type, and was equiped with that type from new. I hate to think what it would cost to replace them, as there are 5 belts, and they are each about 6 feet long.
                    I made a winding machine with a 10Hp motor driving 3 NuTlink belts 35 years ago and still running. If you should break a belt you could just replace a section and to compensate stretch, you remove links.
                    Helder Ferreira
                    SetŮ’bal, Portugal

Comment

The Power Twist link belts I am using have a little arrow printed on the links to show you the direction.
                      I point that in the forward direction, but if you need to run the lathe or mill in the reverse direction the belt will be running backwards.
                      I haven't noticed any problem doing this. But what I have noticed is the machine runs smoother than it did with the solid belts.
                      Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X