X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim2
    replied
    Maybe it's the dishwasher?

We had a rather generic looking can opener like was pictured earlier in the thread--though I'm too lazy to seek it out now. It developed those same rusty nodules through the chrome that you're describing, and eventually it was destroyed. What we've done is that we simply don't put those types of utensils into the dishwasher. If it isn't solid stainless or nylon or plastic (in other words chrome-plated stuff), it gets washed separately and never sees the inside of the dishwasher. Sure a pain, but have had the same can opener, turner, spatula for many years now with no signs of deterioration.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• TriHonu
    replied
    You could try a commercial opener.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Yes, it sure sounds like it. But if the water is really salty, I don't know how to remedy this economically.

Reverse osmosis (and, especially, distillation) would take care of salt, but it's a lot of water to process. Besides, pure RO water (as well as the distilled water I recommended above) is quite corrosive itself due to its low pH. Not as corrosive as salty water, and most likely, you won't notice the effect if you use it for final flushing, but if used continuously, it's better to be buffered a bit. In any case, this approach is not particularly economic anyway.

I wonder where your water is coming from. Any option to switch the source?

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Based on that I'm going to suggest that maybe you don't have a can opener problem but possibly a water chemistry problem.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
    H-mmm. Is it the only carbon steel utensil you have the rusting problem with?
    If your water is salty, maybe it makes sense to flash he opener with distilled water prior to drying. Then can also wipe it with vegetable oil for extra protection.
    Pretty much everything corrodes. Aluminum baking sheets get some funky oxidation when run through the dishwasher, the chrome plated utensils stay shiny for a few months and then rust "pustules" start to poke through the chrome finish. Anything that is not chromed, rusts immediately. The pivots on can openers seem to be carbon steel and that is what rusts up and then the can opener is hard to use. After that, the gears start rusting. The blades on the better ones (Kitchenaid, Oxo) are stainless and don't seem to rust.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
    AK - Thanks for your concern. I don't want this to turn into an argument about food safety, quality, nutritional value, etc. but I will say that we actually don't use the can openers that much. Honestly, that's part of the frustration. It sits in a drawer for a month or more (and it goes into the drawer dry, by the way!) and then when I go to pull it out, it's rusty and dull and practically unuseable. If I were using it every day, I'd feel a lot better about buying a replacement every year.
    H-mmm. Is it the only carbon steel utensil you have the rusting problem with?
    If your water is salty, maybe it makes sense to flash he opener with distilled water prior to drying. Then can also wipe it with vegetable oil for extra protection.

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
    AK - Thanks for your concern. I don't want this to turn into an argument about food safety, quality, nutritional value, etc. but I will say that we actually don't use the can openers that much. Honestly, that's part of the frustration. It sits in a drawer for a month or more (and it goes into the drawer dry, by the way!) and then when I go to pull it out, it's rusty and dull and practically unuseable. If I were using it every day, I'd feel a lot better about buying a replacement every year.
    maybe try putting it in a different drawer for awhile or some of those desiccant packets to keep the drawer a little less humid?

Leave a comment:

• 01-7700
    replied
    A homemade can opener would make a great youtube video - I would watch that!

Leave a comment:

• oldwing
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    Don't lump all of OXO's products into the same pile. Kind of like placing all of GM's products in the same league as the Vega or Chevette, just to name two. You simply can't shop by brand alone.

I must have 25 pepper mills, the OXO one that dispenses from the top is the only one I'll ever use again because the adjustments work and are repeatable, and it doesn't leave ground pepper on the table/counter every time it's moved.

The OXO opener stays clean, works well, and has a stainless blade and shows some quality in it's construction, mind you it is their top of the line model.
    Amen to all of this!! We got one two years ago. It's the best ever.

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Good post Boomer!

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    OXO 10+ years regular use. Operator error? Some folks are just ham fisted.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Wow that's a pretty good track record, the tomatoes are actually the biggest worry though as the acid in them can cause BPA leaching of up to 5 times the normal amount or even more depending on how long they been on the shelf - but even with that the fact that your only doing it once a year is amazing,,,

when it comes to tomatoes lots of people are going with glass jars like in spaghetti sauce and the like...

Leave a comment:

• Normanv
    replied
    Boomer, that's exactly what I was thinking. The only canned food that I use is chopped tomatoes and maybe once a year canned tuna. Here in UK they both come with ring pull tops, hence no need for a can opener.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    FT This is a different approach but a very important one to think about,,, if your burning up can openers to the tune of approximately one a year then that's a huge problemo in the longevity department alright but the can openers are the least of your worries, you are significantly reducing the longevity of your existence and compromising your health along the way...

for one canned food goes through an altering in one form or another and is very denatured containing little "good"

and the other is the lining --- sucking up all those chemicals used to line the inside of the can creates all kinds of health problems.

Iv had some years where I have not opened a single can, buy a simply hand crank POS and it will last you a lifetime, problem solved and an even greater problem cured in the form of preventative maintenance...

at the very least try to seek out cans with BPA free linings, although keep in mind that's a trade off as they too are not completely safe,
    I know I will catch some resistance about this - things like "my grandma ate canned spam for 107 years and played a fiddle all the way to the end" well --- good for her - probably just means she could have made it to 140 while playing the piano with the other hand,,,

the fact of the matter is this - this has been known for decades from independent studies by people who have the intelligence enough to question stuff, and now? now finally the FDA is issuing warnings about it - little note on that, by the time that finally happens it's already been far too late for millions...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X