who sells reground end mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who sells reground end mills

I use to buy reground end mills from wttool but they no longer sell them. I searched online and once you say "re ground" every company's name pops up because they offer this service. I want to purchase reground end mills not have them sharpened.
    So who sells them today?

Might check with a local tool sharpener.

Comment

I've had lots of tools re-ground but I can't say I ever saw a place selling re-ground stuff. If you want to go that route I'd look for batches of used tooling online and have it re-ground--it'll probably be about the same price...
      Keith

Comment

I have in past years purchased a number of resharpened end mills on Ebay, lots of options there.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mills&_sacat=0

I believe the ones I purchased were from mmtoolscarbide. No issues with their products or service.

Random link to one of their Ebay items just for reference.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I bought a few ~1/2" carbide regrinds that work well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGS-END-MILL...AAAOSw-W5U08c0

seller: carbidetoolco

Comment

There was a guy selling one on Ebay, but it looked like it was stuffed into the back of a drill chuck...
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

There are lots of resharpened end mills on e-bay. On the Practical Machinist forum I often see regrinds for sale.

Comment

Might as well buy new as pay the incredible shipping that the vultures on Ebay charge.

Comment

Originally posted by studentjim View Post
                  Might as well buy new as pay the incredible shipping that the vultures on Ebay charge.
                  Often times if interested in an item I will contact the seller and ask for an item to be shipped USPS, small or medium flat rate box, much cheaper.
                  Most merchants have no issue with this option, if they do, move along.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Hi,

The few carbide resharps I've bought have come from eBay. Been pretty happy with them too. I look for lots, they tend to work out cheaper per piece.

Dalee
                    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Had good luck with second hand tool stores

Comment

I have bought reground and recoated carbide endmills on ebay, they are much cheaper as long as you don't mind the slight reduction in length and diameter.

Comment

The loss of dia can work to your advantage in many cases. If you have a selection of regrinds, slots are easier in many cases. Bob.

Comment

Use caution, some reground end mills are sold because after grinding it was determined the diameter was reduced enough to eliminate the "hook" in the flute. In other words they aren't free cutting enough anymore even though they have been sharpened. Sort of like the difference between positive rake and negative rake tooling, with the regrinds tending toward negative.

Somewhere I have a chart from an aerospace company showing the acceptable diameter reduction allowed before the end mill is considered unusable and should either be disposed of (sold as a regrind) or have a relatively expensive refluting. Generally, refluting is not cost effective on HSS end mills unless they're larger sizes. Carbide can be more cost effective to reflute.

If you find a steady source of regrinds you might want to check why they're selling them. I'm betting the odds are the cutters are rejects. But, a cutter rejected for production might still be home shop acceptable.

Comment

The rule of thumb is that once it reaches 10% smaller than original, it's done. For example, a .500 (1/2") would not be any good below .450.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
                              X