Enerpac single acting cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enerpac single acting cylinder question

I picked up a used Enerpac cylinder for my portapower collection. It had been in storage for several years. I connected it to a hand pump and started working it up and down to bleed the air. Right away I noticed that it didn't return by itself. However, if I put pressure on the piston with the pump's return valve open, the piston goes right back in.

I kept working it until I got it out to max length. At that point it took a few hundred pounds of force to get the piston to retract.

It's a powerful cylinder, at least 15 tons. Really hoping it can be made to work without spending huge $$.

metalmagpie
    Last edited by metalmagpie; 11-08-2016, 09:31 PM.

Might take it apart and check or just change the packing. Put it between centers and see if the thing is bent.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
      Might take it apart and check or just change the packing. Put it between centers and see if the thing is bent.
      No visible centers in the piston or body.

I'd already have taken it apart if I had a big face spanner.

metalmagpie

Comment

I believe they have a large tension coil spring inside. The spring may be broken or somehow disconnected.

Comment

the 10t enerpac I have has a spring inside to retract the piston. Complete bugger to get it off to take the cylinder apart.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
            I believe they have a large tension coil spring inside. The spring may be broken or somehow disconnected.
            I've repaired Blackhawk rams where the spring breaks off up in the ram where it's fastened by a screw.

JL.............

Comment

Solved. I finally called the awesome hydraulic repair shop in Seattle and they told me that this cylinder, a RLC-302, is a 30 ton cylinder with 2" stroke which has no return spring.

Plug: Universal Repair Shop, 1611 Boylston Avenue in Seattle, 206-322-2726. Everyone who works there is a knowledgeable old guy. I've been going there since I was a kid working on cars nearly 50 years ago. The place is exactly the same! Back then they rebuilt a lot of floor jacks for gas stations, stuff like that. Today they are making a living repairing things like paint spray systems but they seem to know absolutely everything about hydraulics and they are super friendly.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
              X