Need help identifying a lathe attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying a lathe attachment

Hello all. I'm new here as I just bought a 1941 South Bend B9W lathe. I t came with a box of odds and sods including a steady rest the mystery tool in the pictures bellow. It clamps onto the ways like the steady rest and has an outer collar that when threaded forward presses three clamping pegs inwards. It also has a removable pin in the center bore that has a nicely machined dome on one end and a knurled perimeter on the other end.

Can anyone identify its use for me?

Cheers
    Paul

Interesting.
    It looks like a form of steady but guessing for support long lengths, more for support that working on them ?

As I say just guessing but wonder if it's not gun making related ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Might be a support for centerless shafts. Starters are known for having centerless shafts, and they need commutators machined at overhaul time. With the end nearest the commutator in the lathe chuck, you need something like this to hold the off end.

TC
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

looks like a tailstock chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by studentjim View Post
          looks like a tailstock chuck.

You need to go to Specsavers then.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

It supports the end of an armature while the commutator is turned. Works like a steady. Other versions fit into the tailstock taper and resemble a chuck with bronze jaws.

Comment

Chambering spider

Comment

I have no definite idea, however the idea of a self centering steady is intreaging, I imagined somthing like an iris off a camera once but could not translate that into somthing workable, the iris plates I was working on belonged to blown film extruders, I would think bronze pads on soft jaws of a three jaw. Then mounted to a steady base might work. I'd not be suprised if johns idea that it was gun related, barrel steady or somthing perhaps.
                Mark

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone. It has been definitively identified by a user on thePractical Machinist Forum as the tail stock from an armature lathe. Mine even has remnants of the same red paint.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/frankwood/

Cheers
                  Paul

Comment

Hi and welcome B9W,

Questions, does it have a through hole? Does it line up with the head stock shaft center? It looks like the support half of a steel pipe threading machine, especially if it does have a through hole. I'm in agreement that it is a type of steady rest or tail stock support from what is shown.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by B9W View Post
                      Thanks for all the input everyone. It has been definitively identified by a user on thePractical Machinist Forum as the tail stock from an armature lathe. Mine even has remnants of the same red paint.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/frankwood/

Cheers
                      Paul

Well that's a positive reply, glad we all learn from this.

I have a MT4 morse taper with a 6" revolving 4 jaw chuck on it for much the same job.

having a 4 jaw means i can hold welded shafts up, get the main bit running true and them skim a true diameter to get a steady on and then remachine the welded end.

Comment

Originally posted by B9W View Post
                        It also has a removable pin in the center bore that has a nicely machined dome on one end and a knurled perimeter on the other end.

Can anyone identify its use for me?

Cheers
                        Paul

I'm guessing that pin should be installed on the BACK side of that rest then to serve as a thrust stop?

Comment

Looks like a very nicely built piece.

Comment

Working...
                          X