Photo Hosting Site Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Hosting Site Recomendations

I've searched for posting on this subject and found several current (within a year) ideas but noticed one odd thing. At least I think it's odd, there was no mention of Google Photos in any of the posts. I was just about to move all my photos from photo bucket to google photos but thought I'd better get some feedback from some of the gurus lurking here.

I'm one of those that has nothing but problems with photo bucket on Firefox and I've had problems from the beginning. As mentioned in previous posts, issues with my computer could be the problem. I do not have an ad blocker and sometimes I have to start photo bucket several times before it loads properly and then it takes 5 minutes + to load.

So, does anyone here use google photos for hosting? If so how has it worked for you?
    What other photo hosting sites do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

I do not, because I have had photobucket since maybe 2004, and have no problems. I use firefox

It can be a little slow, mostly recently, but I could probably cure that with adblocking, which I do not use. A little slow means it may take 10 seconds to load a page sometimes. And they do drop an ad window full of dubious links after a couple minutes. But if you click elsewhere on the page that goes away.

If you move your photos (put up in new place, delete from old place), it will obviously break every link to them from anywhere they were posted. If you don't want that, just leave them up and start using the new service. That way nothing is lost, no links break, etc. Might work out better.

Or, you might see if your end is the issue.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Jerry,

Yeah, I thought about losing all the links if I deleted everything from photo bucket, that would certainly be a bummer for my posts on this site and PM, so I'll probably leave photo bucket in tack. It seems I've lost some links anyway, probably my own doing though.

Ron

Comment

I've never used a photo hosting site, except as a trial. I just use my own (shared) web server from www.1and1.com and previously www.dreamhost.com. At first I used some small (10 MB) web space offered by my ISP www.smart.net, and then I briefly had some web space at my ISP www.verizon.net, but they eliminated that.

However, I did not lose any of my image links, because I use my domain names for URLs. I could change to another web space host like GoDaddy, and all I need to do is transfer my files and use the domain forwarding to point to the new location. The URL remains the same. You might even be able to point to your Photobucket web space. Domain forwarding also applies to email.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
          I've searched for posting on this subject and found several current (within a year) ideas but noticed one odd thing. At least I think it's odd, there was no mention of Google Photos in any of the posts. I was just about to move all my photos from photo bucket to google photos but thought I'd better get some feedback from some of the gurus lurking here.

I'm one of those that has nothing but problems with photo bucket on Firefox and I've had problems from the beginning. As mentioned in previous posts, issues with my computer could be the problem. I do not have an ad blocker and sometimes I have to start photo bucket several times before it loads properly and then it takes 5 minutes + to load.

So, does anyone here use google photos for hosting? If so how has it worked for you?
          What other photo hosting sites do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

Ron
          Hi Ron,

Google photos is what I use for image hosting, nearly all the time. I've been using it since it was "Picasa", and it has been great for keeping photos I care about backed up and organized. I certainly preferred it before it became "google photos", but it still works well for photo hosting once you get used to setting sharing permissions. I have a few domain names parked on a commercial web hosting account so once in a while I'll use that, but it's far quicker and easier just to use Google.
          Max
          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Flickr. Free high res photo storage with no additional compression.

Comment

I am happy with photobucket.

Comment

flick and google want your mobile number. postimg?

Comment

That usually for two factor authentication.

Comment

This forum seems to promote photobucket but I have always used imageshack.
                    No problems so far except it is a little awkward.
                    Bill
                    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I use Firefox and have not had problems with Photobucket. I also use an ad blocker and a script blocker. You just have to enable what is needed for the site to work.

Comment

I HAVE noticed that some other sites are very slow to serve photos, and some have ads that appear first, etc. I think flickr did that for a while, at least, I know some others the names of which I don't recall took forever to render a pic. At that point, I do not care if it is a better pic, I'm outta there.

Comment

Wow! 1 google photo user out of 10 replies. In fact most haven't even mentioned google photo as an option, this is clearly telling me something, I just haven't figured out what. Could it be that few use it because of image compression, several internet searches mentioned that google photo does compresses images. I try to limit my file size to 300k max so file compression probably wouldn't bother me. Especially since I use a point and shoot camera and my full file size is generally around 2 meg.

Does anyone have an idea why google photos isn't very popular, at least here anyway?

Comment

For me......

1) I do try to avoid as much "google" stuff as possible. Google is starting to be REALLY intrusive as far as ads etc. I have even started using duckduckgo for searches, at least some of the time. Otherwise I get bombarded with ads for things I may have searched for for some totally "other" reason, such as helping someone here.

2) I already used Photobucket, have for 12 years or so, and just have no reason to change.

Comment

And me...
                              I would never consider google photos as I will not deal with google any more than is absolutely necessary - to the point of Windows phones only and no gmail. The word 'intrusive' barely scratches the surface and their current practices have rendered my android tablet useless.
                              I use Photobucket, which I only need occasionally, and have had no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X