Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichaelP
    replied
    This is the very desirable toolroom version of the lathe. The serpentine belt alone costs a fortune.

Leave a comment:

• kendall
    replied
    It's an art piece, precision welds artistically applied for just the right effect to signify to signify man's rage against the machine.

Leave a comment:

• johansen
    replied
    Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
    Is that a glob of weld holding the chuck to the spindle?
    sure looks like it.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    WoW!! I had no idea i was in the snob forum, my computer has been hacked!!!!

I didnt read all the smears, five was enough.

Get over it hacks. Get back to the stuff you made, hacked, glued or otherwise cobbled together and work with that instead of yer dainty fingers on the keyboard

Kidding!! Sometimes folks just have to do what comes natural to them. Machine work might not be the ticket. I dont mind a hack fix on anything. If I can get things working again I will go primitive.

Do with what you have or can make is my story. JR

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The spindle looks more like JB weld to me. Kinda gray, and not shiny. That means it COULD be gotten off of there most likely. Unless the bozo buttered up the taper before slamming it in place.....

But being as he is a bozo, maybe he didn't clean oil off it first, and it will pop right off.

The hammer head looks welded-on, but that whole POS is just bolted to the bed through the slot, by the look of it, Unbolt and throw in scrap iron pile.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Paine
    replied
    Unfortunately the lathe he messed up was a very desirable Hardinge.

Leave a comment:

• Andre3127
    replied
    Just have to make a new spindle. Nothing a machinist can't do in an afternoon! Really though, it's not that difficult.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That's my analysis of the photos. What a waste. Yes, I think it is scrap now. Sell by the pound.

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
    No, I think the chuck is on a taper shank and the shank welded to the spindle.
    Whoever did this converted a nice little lathe into a pile of scrap metal.

Leave a comment:

• Illinoyance
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    Is the chuck sitting on a collet? And is that the unused spindle thread showing? If so you could get the chuck mounted at least 2" to the left.

No, I think the chuck is on a taper shank and the shank welded to the spindle.
    Whoever did this converted a nice little lathe into a pile of scrap metal.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    Is that a glob of weld holding the chuck to the spindle?

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Is the chuck sitting on a collet? And is that the unused spindle thread showing? If so you could get the chuck mounted at least 2" to the left.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    Besides an online reputation I wonder what he's made with it?

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Was going to say that using a 12lb sledge head as a tool post holder might soak up allot of chatter, till JT went and ruined that idea with the Giraffe neck style chuck hanging out in the breeze like that,,,

Leave a comment:

• jihe
    replied
    He sure found an elegant solution to the problem with threaded chucks unscrewing when reversing!

Leave a comment:

• pinstripe
    replied
    A wasted opportunity. That hammer head has two sides. Should have made it pivot so it could hold a tool on each end

Hard to be sure from the photos, but it looks like the tool will be above center height unless the "toolpost" has a slot cut into it.

There was one on eBay a few weeks ago that used an RSJ for the bed.
    Last edited by pinstripe; 11-11-2016, 03:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X