New "forum" needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "forum" needed...

I'd like to suggest that there be a new Forum on this board. A place for some of us to cuss and discuss the issues associated with age....

OFF

Old Farts Forum

Respectfully getting older by the hour,
    Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

grrrrrrajhtxcunixmruxnexhgfgmrcnekxjrn fncn Ya, I think so toooo.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

There's plenty of other sites that are dedicated to age and health issues. This is a home shop machinist forum. If the topic is related to that, such as lift assists for lathe chucks or milling vises, RTs, etc then I could see it appropriate. Otherwise, nobody wants to hear about your hemorrhoids or plastic teeth here.

Comment

Fwiw, This is a good place and pretty well run but there are a few things that are needed.

There really needs to be a general discussion area where all the OT stuff goes and turn the current "general" into machining related only. While there are other forums that any of the OT can be discussed on, people seem to find a home on forums and will talk about OT items. I don't see a problem with it, I do it myself but it would make it a lot easier if there was a different section for it.

Posters also should be posting welding and firearms related in the proper areas and not in general. Moderators should stay on top of moving posts to the correct areas if they are mot posted in it.

On edit, there was currently 4 OT threads in the 20 active on the 1st page not including this one, a few were questionable with shop tool questions. So 25% of the general machining section is OT. Yup time for its own section.
        Last edited by oxford; 11-11-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
          Otherwise, nobody wants to hear about your hemorrhoids or plastic teeth here.
          If this stuff were in its own section, then you wouldn't have to read it!

FWIW, I click on the "New Posts" button and check 'em all...

Pete
          1973 SB 10K .
          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

There is a forum some place for old farts, It's called AARP we have more sections here than needed now. At 75 I think if your too old for that, you probably shouldn't be operating machine tools.
            Last edited by lugnut; 11-11-2016, 09:41 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
              There is a forum some place for old farts, It's called AARP we have more sections here than needed now. If your too old for that, you probably shouldn't be operating machine tools.
              Right! For a minute, I, too, made the mistake of taking 100P's suggestion as a serious one - it should have had a "nyuk nyuk" or smiley to make it clear it was a bit of humor. AND, I agree that this place has exactly the right number of sub-forums. Take a look at the mess over at Hobby-Machinist. There are so many subs the entire effort is a scrambled mess, with any number of inactive corners.

With the bulk of stuff in a big "general" place, it's much more fun to see what comes up, so I find myself learning about things I didn't know I would find interesting. If it were all categorized, I'd miss a lot of fun.
              Last edited by Frank Ford; 11-11-2016, 09:50 PM.
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

Yup, if a forum has a "show unread posts" function that is what I use and I have no idea what section they posted in. Either it is good forum with interesting people and topics or its not. I think the nots vote for more organization.

Comment

Perhaps I should not be jumping in, but I like this forum the way it is. It is one of the friendliest forums on the web. I think of like the water cooler or the coffee room at work where the discussion can be on almost anything.

If you want a strict forum, try

practicalmachinist.com

They limit the discussion a lot more. And I can appreciate the need for BOTH types of forums.

As for an Old Farts forum, I am not too sure it would be a good thing. I have enough reminders of my age as things are now. I try to think young. It may not work all the time, but I do try.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

I spent about 50yrs working in machine shops. Never heard anybody say hey this is a machine shop you can't talk about that. One thing i did learn, is that there are cry babies every where you go.
                    John b
                    John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by john b View Post
                      I spent about 50yrs working in machine shops. Never heard anybody say hey this is a machine shop you can't talk about that. One thing i did learn, is that there are cry babies every where you go.
                      John b
                      so what did you guys think of the idiot who couldn't shut up about his hemorrhoids?

I'm with Ken, nobody wants to hear someones medical problems. It's a basic social faux pas many were never taught - think of that guy at the party "well let me tell you about my operation....". groan and plan your escape, its even worse than the insurance salesman
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-12-2016, 12:44 PM.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I did not conclude that the OP's proposal was solely to relate medical woes.
                        There is a lot more to aging than that, although that might be true for those perpetually looking back in comparison.

Comment

Clint Eastwood, in his Playboy interview some years ago, said "Some people are old before their time because they think old". Stop thinking old.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            so what did you guys think of the idiot who couldn't shut up about his hemorrhoids?
                            I think he was a pain in the arse

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                              I'd like to suggest that there be a new Forum on this board. A place for some of us to cuss and discuss the issues associated with age....

OFF

Old Farts Forum

Respectfully getting older by the hour,
                              Pete
                              I qualify but i think all need to keep there health issues to them self this is not payton place. Cussing is not necessary to get a point across

Comment

Working...
                              X