Whatzit, tool, gauge, ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatzit, tool, gauge, ???

15.6 oz, 2 3/4" long, about 1.6" dia. Came with some others identical in a load of misc stuff from a US Dept of Defense Ordnance activity. It was either cast and then machined or was machined from a solid round bar. The small flat areas are at each 90 degrees around the two large diameters. My guess on material is bronze. IHNI.

Last edited by Cannonmn; 11-12-2016, 09:52 PM.

Spark proof hammer that won't roll off the bench?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Definitely a dumbell for a cat. The flat is so it doesn't roll away, but should have been a little larger, as it's mate has disappeared.

Comment

A dumbbell for someone with tiny hands...
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

A Go/No-go gauge to check for barrel wear in 50 mm cannons?

Benta.

Comment

Looks like a pipe bore guage that I had for pneumatic air transport systems (sometimes I stuck it up the line to clear a stuck container) saw similar r at a mandrel bending company who did swept bends too
            Mark

Comment

Good ideas. O.D. Pretty close to 40mm but don't think it is a bore gauge, the military would have to have a way to attach it to a rod or something. Overnight I was thinking about it and hit on this patent for aircraft hold-back device. The real tension pins for carrier aircraft are 5" long but mine is half of that, so maybe mine is a hold-back for rocket or guided missile systems. ???

https://www.google.com/patents/US2853257

Comment

Pipe cleaning 'pigs'

Comment

looks like a dumbbell paper weight for the gym rats.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I did some lookups and figgerin' to see if it would work as a hold-back link for say a Navy trainable guided missile launcher aboard a warship. The long shank will break in tension over a range of tensions depending on the exact bronze alloy used, but I picked one with a mid-range tensile strength of 40,000 psi. Since the x-sec area of the shank is 0.194 square inches, breaking load in tension would be Somewhere around 7760 lbs.

The two older Navy guided missiles for which booster thrust figures are available are Talos and Terrier, with 111k and 59k lbs. respectively. All that tells me is that if the missile booster functions correctly there is a 100% probability that the much weaker bronze shank will snap apart and release the missile, which is what the ship's captain wants of course.

But all this mumbo-jumbo doesn't prove that's what the dumbbell is, it just means it could be used that way on those two systems. The corrosion resistance of bronze is a good thing for any Navy deck-mounted items such as the now-obsolete trainable launchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                      looks like a dumbbell paper weight for the gym rats.
                      I am going to the gym in the morning 7am i will be looking for rats there is a pretty one

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
                        I am going to the gym in the morning 7am i will be looking for rats there is a pretty one
                        Haha no no, I was referring to somebody who goes to the gym a lot. Bar rat, gym rat, etc. But I guess if you had nutria rats in the area, who knows you might see one working out sometime

Comment

If you want to see a Talos missile in the flesh, pop over to Buffalo, NY, and go aboard the USS Little Rock, they are bloody huge.

Comment

Working...
                          X