Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinion Gear

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pinion Gear

    I know absolutely nothing about gears. Anyone know where I can find one of these and/or what do I have to know to start searching. It's operates the fine focus on a Nikon MM-11 toolmakers microscope. The focus block moves 200 micrometers (aka microns), or 0.2mm, per fine focus knob turn. The measurements are approximately; bore .118", the diameter .237" and length .268".






  • #2
    Try these guys...

    http://www.sdp-si.com/products/Gears/Index.php
    Keith
    __________________________
    Just one project too many--that's what finally got him...

    Comment


    • #3
      SDP-SI won't have anything this small. A module .3 18 tooth gear will have an outside diameter of 6mm or .236".

      Comment


      • #4
        It looks like Northwest Short Lines does not have a .3 mod 18T gear. It's worth mentioning because you might be able to contact them and get one made, but it won't be cheap. The quality will be excellent, though!

        http://nwsl.com

        Comment


        • #5
          How about this? http://www.microscopesolutions.com/_...ne-focus-shaft

          RWO

          Comment


          • #6
            RWO ... I've seen that link before but didn't read it carefully enough and blew it off. Now that I read it again I see they do mention Nikon MM-11, pricey little sucker. IF I had the knowledge to make a gear I'm sure it wouldn't be very expensive.

            Thanks,
            -JW:

            Comment


            • #7
              This is a pretty standard size in a clock. Check those suppliers. Most (non-hobby) clock repairers don't make their own pinions so there should be sources.

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, I suppose you already tried Nikon.

                Judging by the rough finish on the gear, I don't think it is a high precision component. And it appears to be molded in place on that shaft or perhaps molded and then pressed on which would require an exact size hole to fit properly.

                There is an old trick for making a replacement gear. You take a strip of thin sheet metal and form it into a rack shape by meshing the gears with it between them. In this case I think we are talking about aluminum foil to get it thin enough. Cut a strip the width of the gear. You have enough of the original gear left to make about 3/4 of what you need and then shift it to make the rest. Probably good to overlap one tooth so it locks the ring together.

                Press the old gear off. Try not to harm it as you may have to do this a second time, or even a third. Add some side plates (washers?) as you put it in place on the shaft. Pour some good epoxy, perhaps with some reinforcement media added to it (chopped fiberglass?) and let it harden. Bingo, new gear.

                Centering will be a problem. You may have to make a special step washer to fit the shaft on one end and the OD of the gear on the other.
                Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 11-14-2016, 03:03 PM.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

                Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Baz View Post
                  This is a pretty standard size in a clock. Check those suppliers. Most (non-hobby) clock repairers don't make their own pinions so there should be sources.
                  Yes, this is right on the money. Specifically, search for "pinion wire", it's what is typically used. It's formed into pinion leaves the entire length, and you cut/machine to suit your application.
                  Max
                  http://joyofprecision.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    OK,

                    There is an old trick for making a replacement gear. You take a strip of thin sheet metal and form it into a rack shape by meshing the gears with it between them. In this case I think we are talking about aluminum foil to get it thin enough. Cut a strip the width of the gear. You have enough of the original gear left to make about 3/4 of what you need and then shift it to make the rest. Probably good to overlap one tooth so it locks the ring together.
                    It sounds like you are suggesting making a whole new gear, if so it might be a better bet to just fit the form around the bad part of the gear and re-form the missing teeth.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Smokedaddy View Post
                      Anyone know where I can find one of these and/or what do I have to know to start searching.
                      If you can not find any love, we can make one ( or more ) for you. We are well versed in small ( and normally sized ) gear manufacture.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They don't make pinion wire in 18 teeth module 0,3 drilled at 3mm to my knowledge. In any case someone sent me a link to a fellow on eBay that remanufactures this particular gear.

                        Thanks for all the suggestions,
                        -SD:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Might be moot, but using this I found two custom sources for these gears:

                          http://www.globalspec.com/Supplier/C...&sqid=18844426

                          http://www.globalspec.com/Supplier/C...&sqid=18844426

                          The gear appears to be module 0.3, 18 tooth, 3 mm bore, which is equivalent to 84.6 DP
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks Paul .. will end up going this route as a couple other have done.

                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/172380707947...=true#shpCntId

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Smokedaddy View Post
                              Thanks Paul .. will end up going this route as a couple other have done.

                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/172380707947...=true#shpCntId
                              Are you sure you can trust this seller. He is from Germany!
                              Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X