Is this surface plate worn or dirty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this surface plate worn or dirty?

Does this look worn or dirty? I'm not buying it, just wondering.

Also, what's the hole for?

Impossible to tell if it's worn from a picture. The discoloration could be just oil or some other staining, or even natural to the stone.
    The hole was probably for an indicator post or something.

JL..............

Comment

Looks worn to me. If recently scraped there should be polka dots of shiny points all over, not areas of shiny surfaces. That doesn't prove it's not usable. It needs comparison against a known good surface to form a judgement about that.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Probably both worn and dirty, as it looks as if it had been used. Obviusly dirty, and used, so worn.

TOO worn? No clue.

Hole in middle probably for a post for some specialty measuring setup.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
          If recently scraped there should be polka dots of shiny points all over, not areas of shiny surfaces.
          -"Scraped"? You don't scrape granite. Granite plates are ground, and then then lapped to repair.

But I agree, the differences in appearance could indeed indicate wear. You simply cannot tell from a photo, you'll have to closely examine/measure it in person.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Lots of bicycle frame builders put posts in them (whippings posts) to hold the bike frame by the bottom bracket (crank bearings). Some even build off the plate... that looks to me like brazing char on the plate.

Comment

Looks like a cast iron plate to me. Looking down into the hole, it only looks like an inch or so deep.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Hard to tell, looks like cast iron to me as well, it would be three inches thick if it were granite.
                Also, look closely at the lower right hand corner.
                Last edited by old mart; 11-17-2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

if its a plate its not granite. Is it a plate? likes somewhat like a welded frame around it, but hard to tell. need more info and photos
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Thanks all. It was advertised as a granite surface plate. No other photo or details. It did cross my mind that it might just be a block of granite, but I didn't notice how thin it looks in the middle. It could be a shadow, but it does look very thin. It was going cheap at $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                      -"Scraped"? You don't scrape granite. Granite plates are ground, and then then lapped to repair.

But I agree, the differences in appearance could indeed indicate wear. You simply cannot tell from a photo, you'll have to closely examine/measure it in person.

Doc.
                      Right. On the other computer it looked like a metal plate.

Sorry about that, Chief!
                      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Ok, it's granite, but no way is it a surface plate.

Comment

Cheaper new at $40.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/17550/

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                          Thanks all. It was advertised as a granite surface plate. No other photo or details. It did cross my mind that it might just be a block of granite, but I didn't notice how thin it looks in the middle. It could be a shadow, but it does look very thin. It was going cheap at $100.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Bear in mind that pinstripe is in Oz and prices there can be very different than they are in the US.
                            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

They sure as hell are here, I would love to be able to buy granite plates at those prices.
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X