Three easy questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three easy questions.

How tall are you? How tall is your lathe? Does your back hurt?

I am 5 foot seven tall. My lathe is 44" from floor to center of chuck. My back does not hurt.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

The setting that works for me is to have the cross slide handle at elbow height. Back has never complained.

Edit: I should add that these measurements are for a 7" and an 11" swing lathe. My Taig lathe should be higher because I have to bend over while using it.

Geoff
      Last edited by ammcoman2; 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I'm same as Brian, 5'7, Not sure about spindle height,but above waist, I can reach the hand wheels without bending over. Back doesn't hurt. Bending over is the number one reason my back starts hurting, so try to design or set things up so I don't have to

Comment

Reverse the order.
          3. My back hurts all the time - my spine is fusing from a particular variety of arthritis.

2a. My Little Machine Shop 5100 lathe is set on the bench such that the spindle is 44" above the floor.
          2b. My Sherline lathe is set on a riser on the bench such that the spindle is 48" above the floor.
          I do most of my close work on smaller details on the Sherline and the extra height suits my trifocals better and I don't have to bend over so much.

1. I used to be 5'11-3/4". I am now 5'10" - see #3 above...

None of this matters much as most of my projects employ CNC mill work more than lathe work, but I may increase the height of both lathes as time goes on and my spine continues to fuse.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

6' 2" and my Boxford and Nichols are way too low. Been meaning to raise them up (maybe that was you who I saw made a nice Nichols base a while back). Putting padding over concrete really helps.. concrete is a back killer.

Comment

I'm 5-11, and my center height is also 44 inches. (I too get back ache lots, especially walking on any concrete floor, which i don't have.) Working on the concrete in my sons garage business does me in .

Comment

5' 8" and the centerline of the chuck is about 46", yes my back hurts.

probably more due to mill work than lathe work, until I did the jig crane, lifting the 10" and 12" rotary tables and chucks up on the mill tables, was killing my back.
                jack

Comment

5'10" Lathe center 43" No pain

My back used to hurt, but I've been doing exercises before I get out of bed. 50 reps. Lay flat on my back. Stretch each leg (pull knee up to my stomach). Then push the small of my back into the bed, relax, repeat 50 times. After ~3 months I noticed an improvement. After a year I can't imagine not doing the exercises.

Mike

Comment

If your back/legs etc. hurt then you need something to stand on that cushions you. IE: rubber mats
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I'm 6-2 and my lathe is at 46".

Comment

I'm 6'3" , and my lathe's chuck center is 47".
                        I still find myself stooping over, and getting a stiff back from time to time.

Comment

5'-6" standing at 36" bench every day, lathe center is 48" - arthritic pain in most joints - never back pain.
                          Cheers,

Frank Ford
                          HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            If your back/legs etc. hurt then you need something to stand on that cushions you. IE: rubber mats
                            Here is what I use:

From McMaster-Carr, #6999T411, $47.02
                            I take one of these mats with me when I am exhibiting at NAMES or Cabin Fever - and try to remember to stand on it whenever possible - makes a difference.

Also note the carpet; when we replaced the carpet over the middle of the hardwood floor in the living room, I found that the old one would fit in the shop. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't hold chips or swarf and swept easily with an ordinary broom. Would obviously not be a good choice for greasy/oily environment...
                            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Three easy questions.

6'4"
                              53.75" (spindle center)
                              No!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Stradbash; 11-20-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X