It's a cold and miserable day--o.t.---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a cold and miserable day--o.t.---

Winter has finally come to beautiful Barrie, or at least the first outriders of it. Cold blowing snow, and my arthritis kicking up royal Hell. Watched a bit of morning TV with good wife, and had to light the gas fireplace to drive the chill out of the room. After an unseemingly long drought, I've finally got a bit of "for pay" design work coming in. Don't really need the money, but really do need some creative stuff to do to keep the old brain ticking over smartly!! People are building my flathead engine which was published this month in "The home shop Machinist"--I know because I'm getting questions about it by email, and requests from folks who want all the drawings "right now" and don't want to wait for future issues of the magazine to get all the plans. I've finished my most recent fun project, the 90 degree right angle drive, and it was a quick, fun to build project that does absolutely nothing useful, but is fun to watch working. I have to take a moment here and say something about the lingering death of one of my other favourite forums, the "Home Model Engine Machinist". It is still up and running, but since it was sold to a "for profit" organization a couple of years ago, 99% of the good model engine builders have left it. I find that a very sad thing, because when the original owner who was a model engine builder himself started and ran the forum, it was a gold mine of information and truly creative builds, and intelligent people. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a model engine forum in North America to replace it. Many of the senior model makers have went to a U.K. site, but it isn't quite the same. Folks on the U.K. site are good people, but the forum is just different enough because of cultural background to not feel totally comfortable. Enough of my ramblings---Hope you guys are all well and have yer long johns ready for the next 4 months.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Good morning Brian. We are in between rain storms out here this morning, so not a bad day. Just sitting here thinking what I might do today. The car really needs washing and I might tinker around in my workshop for a while this morning. I thought I might watch the CFL western final on TV this afternoon. Watched the semi-final last weekend where the Lions pulled off an exciting win in the last minutes. I am not really a football fan, but sometimes watch when the local team is in the finals. Have a good day and stay close to the fire.
    Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Brian I've used a product that has menthol in it , it comes in a stick form like deodorant, I've used it on my knuckles (arthritis), sore shoulder where I had a rotator cuff repair don't know why it works but it does, the brand name is Assured Menthol rub.

Comment

Old man winter has made inroads in the west too. We had our first go with 2" of wet snow in mid October. We had some warm days last couple weeks. Just enough for the neighbours to get the last of the crop and hay off. There's lots of wet grain in bins all over the prairies. Back to seasonal norms for temps last several days with light snow flurries. There is just the starting of frost in the ground again for the second time this fall.

Heater still works in the shop, and the lights are still on, so I'm going to hibernate out there some.
        Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

A model engine forum is fine but what North America really needs is a model *engineering* site. A few moments spent at the Craftsmanship Museum site...

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

will prove that their are plenty of master miniaturists and craftsmen out there who are producing works of mechanical art that are not engines. A model engineering site would include them and invite their ilk into a larger community where all sorts of cross fertilization could take place.
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Marv--You're right, of course. There is a great deal of very interesting model engineering "art" that is not engines. I have been heavily castigated on the U.K. site for posting some of my whimsical things that are not engines.
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Yes winter here as well still a lot of crop out that will have to wait till spring,been a very challenging harvest this year.Some areas received 10" rain in one day at the start of harvest.

Comment

I seldom get really bad arthritis in any particular part of my body. Mine manifests more as general "body ache", which means that your sore as Hell all over. Pretty hard to rub mentholatum on that!! I have been taking prescription Celebrex for years now, and it is quite effective, but sometimes on days like this, the pain gets ahead of anything the Celebrex can do. I set here and whine about the cold weather coming, but I really do feel for you guys out in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. Most Ontario folks never think much about it, but you folks are SO far north of us. In fact, the southernmost part of Ontario, down around Point Pelee is at the same latitude as northern California. I've spent a winter on the prairies, and I'll take our Ontario winters anytime over that. Here we just freeze. Out there, you can freeze and get your ass blown off simultaneously.
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Hey Brian,

Our snowman says hello. It's good to be back.

Last edited by enginuity; 11-20-2016, 01:51 PM.
                  www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Yeah, we got our first snow of the year yesterday. Not heavy, enough to make things white and slippery.
                    Worse thing was that I had just gotten so I could walk without a cane after a knee replacement, so of course while heading out to clear the steps, was to slip and land on it. I would have much rather landed flat on my nose.

Comment

Many years ago I went to Edmondton during the Winter, and got a taste of what cold is. We recently moved from South Carolina, near Charlotte NC, to central Florida. We stayed the past five Winters here to be able to escape the cold weather, and decided to move full time. Cold down here is generally in the low 40's F, but a hard freeze occurs occasionally. The Summer was hot, but not having to put up with snow and ice is wonderful. My shop is still totally disorganized after six months, but I will eventually get things sorted.

Jim Williams

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                        Marv--You're right, of course. There is a great deal of very interesting model engineering "art" that is not engines. I have been heavily castigated on the U.K. site for posting some of my whimsical things that are not engines.
                        Brian,
                        Been following your posts over on MEM and I didn't see any reply's that were in anyway castigated.

All I saw were posts of praise.
                        I feel you are not being fair to MEM which because of the better way it is run is a far superior site the new HMEM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Williams View Post
                          Many years ago I went to Edmondton during the Winter, and got a taste of what cold is.

Jim Williams
                          When I worked oil patch in 1980 it was -63 F about 5 hrs north of Edmonton all but one of the propane heaters on the tanks & lines failed.The cook shack was pretty crowded but did not go hungry!

Comment

John Stevenson--When I first began posting on MEM, Jo was on my ass like a diaper, saying that my marble automation machine wasn't suitable for their forum. Then some old guy from Africa got in on the act and tore me a new---Well anyways, if a bunch of people who liked my stuff hadn't jumped in and said they would leave the forum if I wasn't allowed to post my stuff there, they would have thrown me off the forum. I think castigated was exactly the right word to use.
                            Last edited by brian Rupnow; 11-20-2016, 06:28 PM.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I've got 13 turkeys scratching around in the snow and oak leaves under my backyard bird feeder. Dang, they are big birds!!! There is a flock of about 22 that live in the woods just behind my house. One of these thanksgivings I'm going to set a snare---
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Working...
                              X