Jacobs chuck removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs chuck removal

The spindle on our Milwaukee Hole Hawg is bent. The poop sheet says the chuck is screwed on with 90 ftlbs of torque. I can make a spanner to grip the chuck but I need ideas as to how to hold the spindle. An impact driver might get it but I wonder if that will mess up the gear train? All ideas will be appreciated.
    Jim

Impacts work fine for this if you can’t get the chuck off manually, just use a light touch. I haven't broken anything using this technique, but I have seen someone else break a shaft. I use a big allen head socket on the impact.

Take a look here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/001446.html

Comment

Thanks Joel!
      I should keep up on 3rd hand. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
      Jim

Comment

Jim,

Check this thread on the other board...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ML/006202.html
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

No luck so far. Tried the half inch allen in chuck and striking with a hammer. Milled three flats on a half inch bolt, chucked it up and used an impact driver. Impact loosened the chuck almost immediatly so that didn't fly either. Am building a socket spanner with three pins to drive the chuck thru key holes using an impact driver. Will post results.
          Jim

Comment

The socket spanner worked.
            Took the spindle out and set it up between centers. Indicated it on each segment and found at most .0005" runout.
            At the start of this adventure the whole chuck and anything chucked wobbled to where it was unusable.
            Not sure what to "fix" now.
            Any ideas are welcome.
            Jim

Comment

Your bearings may be bad, or the chuck may not be centering properly.

I've had that problem with chucks before. The thread on the jaws had been damaged, allowing that jaw to jump a few threads in the split nut.

I've also had ball bearings lose the ball retainer, allowing the balls to bunch up and run eccentric. They didn't fall out because it was a shielded bearing. But it sure made alot of noise

Comment

Working...
              X