Large Blade (1/2") Screwdriver With Handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Blade (1/2") Screwdriver With Handle

I have recently purchased a couple of planes and they each have a large head straight slot screw. This head is about 1/2" in diameter but they are too low to be considered thumb screws. Since they are new and shiny, I don't want to start messing up those screw heads, but I can already see some small divots starting even though I used my largest sized screwdriver. So I am thinking that I need a larger screwdriver, preferably a 1/2" one.

Now my decades old, 1/2" drive, socket set came with a nice, big screwdriver tip which is about 1/2" wide or larger. I have never used it and probably never will. I would never even think of using it on a ratchet or other socket type handle for those screws in the planes. But that proves that they do make larger sizes of straight slot screws and screwdrivers. I want one with a more or less standard handle. I know I could make one from a smaller screwdriver, but would prefer to just buy it. So, does anyone know where I can buy such a larger screwdriver. Or a 1/2" screwdriver tip for a hex drive handle?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    ........Now my decades old, 1/2" drive, socket set came with a nice, big screwdriver tip which is about 1/2" wide or larger. I have never used it and probably never will. I would never even think of using it on a ratchet or other socket type handle for those screws in the planes......
    Why not? If it's a decent fit...use it. If it's too large to fit the slot, modify it until it does.

Comment

What else is involved here? Is there another tightening mechanism, and this screw just an adjustment, easily turned when the other one is loose?
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You can get 1/4" hex drive screwdrivers with specialty large sizes from Brownells, originally designed for scope base ring screw clamps. Take a look at their #082-430-625.
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal View Post
          You can get 1/4" hex drive screwdrivers with specialty large sizes from Brownells, originally designed for scope base ring screw clamps. Take a look at their #082-430-625.

What he said!!

Pete
          1973 SB 10K .
          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

if its anything you care about, toss the regular blade screw driver. Use hollow ground.....this shows it

http://www.forsterproducts.com/wp-co...river_tips.jpg

roll your own or gunsmith place sell sets ( the prices are stupid mind you). Just the thing for antique machinery as well.

Comment

I use a big Stanley cabinet pattern screwdriver, the tip is about 3/8" wide, I don't get any problems, in school we used them too, but the older flat blade pattern, I think the big one of those is actually made for the job, I have a bit of a plane fetish, I recently lapped the bottom of my Bailey (second hand) plane, I was suprised how far out of flat it was, it was so bad it went on the belt sander first, but after tuning it certainly cuts better, nice thin see through shavings the length of the stock.
              Planes these day are like a kit of parts, they need a fair bit of work before you can call them good
              Mark

Comment

1/2 inch screw driver:
                https://www.amazon.com/Felo-07157323...ch+screwdriver

The socket based flat blades are called "drag link sockets". Many sizes available... then simply a right-sized male socket to 1/4 hex adapter and put it on your hand screw driver. I have them from 1/4 to 3/4 drive.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...et&FORM=HDRSC2

Fine-tune (grind) the tips for your specific use.

If you want the screwdriver look... this : Weld it onto a shank if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5408...rag+link+socke
                Last edited by lakeside53; 11-20-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  ...I think the big one of those is actually made for the job, I have a bit of a plane fetish, ...
                  I thought you were supposed to use the edge of the lever cap to adjust the frog screw

David...
                  http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're on a metal working forum so I suspect you have some metal working equipment. Make your cabinet maker's style screw drivers from some O-1 flat stock about 3/16 thick and then harden and temper to suit. The style I'm thinking of is in the middle of the group of screwdrivers in the fourth picture down on this link page.

http://50.23.231.98/projects/80854

Best of all it'll look quite at home sitting in the drawer or on the rack by the planes.

Comment

OH LOOK! ! ! Surprise, surprise. Lee Nielson has a screwdriver just for this job. Why am I not surprised that LN would have such a product..... Their prices are outlandish but they SURE DO make some sweet product....Don't mind me. I'm just a little bitter that I can't make my brain justify buying their carcase and dovetail saws.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...p-screwdriver-

It uses a round to flat blade instead of the old classic antique method of a flat blade. But that might make it easier for you to make the stubby blade required from some 1/2" drill rod. It would still need to be hardened and then tempered. But it's another option.

Frankly I prefer the idea of the blade made from flat tool steel stock. Just seems more antique like and traditional.
                      Last edited by BCRider; 11-21-2016, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Lee Valley/ Veritas who make their own line of planes actually offer a fancy plane screwdriver. It is a stubby with a knob style wooden handle, the right size blade and a brass collar around the blade to stop it from slipping off. Price is $15.90.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I am talking about the screw that holds the two parts of the blade together. I don't know the exact terminology here. This screw is very similar on both of the planes that I have purchased.

That Lee Nielson screwdriver looks like exactly the ticket. But it has a 5/16" blade, not a 1/2" one.
                          Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 11-21-2016, 04:09 AM.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                            I thought you were supposed to use the edge of the lever cap to adjust the frog screw

David...
                            Your quite right, the screw I'm thinking of is the one that holds the blade to the chip breaker, it's a 1/2" srantard slot sometimes knurled edge screw, the cap iron screw is a slotted csk that isn't 1/2" diameter, more like 1/4", after flipping the cap lever and removing you can usually adjust with your fingers as they tend to be loose, unless you keep your plane in a bucket of water.
                            Plane iron screws are usually tight, or should be
                            Mark

Comment

Well, they may make it, but they do not make it easy to find. But I am searching. And searching. And searching.

Web designers should NOT be allowed to design web pages. PERIOD!

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
                              Lee Valley/ Veritas who make their own line of planes actually offer a fancy plane screwdriver. It is a stubby with a knob style wooden handle, the right size blade and a brass collar around the blade to stop it from slipping off. Price is $15.90.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X