End Mill Gash Angles ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Mill Gash Angles ???

I've been playing around with sharpening my worn end mills again. I usually get back into this when the weather turns bad.
    Some of them, both 2 & 4 flute, center cutting and non need to have the gash re-cut. I couldn't do this last year because I didn't have the right diamond and CBN wheels. Now that I do I'm finding huge differences in the gash angles, they are not all a standard angle. I have cup and saucer wheels with angles 30, 45 and 20 degrees. What I've done so far is just use the wheel that matches the gash angle, or is the closest. I don't think gash angles are super critical so if I change some of them a bit it s it going to matter?? It also get tricky when you have to get the center line perfect. Any do's or don'ts??? I'll post some pics of my set up and progress at a later date.

Thoughts........

JL.................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 11-22-2016, 08:00 PM.

Hi,

For real world use, don't sweat it. The gashes are simply clearance and long ways away from the action at the corners, and to a lesser extent even when center cutting. I've done them with an air grinder and a thin cutoff wheel in a pinch.

Dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

First: What is a gash angle?

Comment

I suspect the only relevance is if you go too steep, thinning the support behind the cutting edge and making it easier to break deep in a mini-crash, etc.
        Southwest Utah

Comment

Hi,

Look at this picture.

If you look at #12 & #14 you will see. It is a tertiary clearance on the end of the cutter.

Dalee
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Thanks Dalee!

Comment

Working...
            X