RotoZip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RotoZip?

I have been selling a bunch of stuff for a friend. Left over after the sale is a like-new RotoZip tool. I have no use for it, but before I send it on its way I am considering trying to turn it into a poor man's toolpost grinder.

What do you think of this idea?

metalmagpie

Usually the spindles in these things are not stiff enough to give a good surface finish.

I'm sure it would work in a pinch for bush mechanic type machining.
    www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Better than a Dremel.

Comment

I used one that I had as a toolpost grinder but it didn't do a great job. As stated the spindle is not suited for precision work and the stones that are sold for them are not very precise either which causes vibration. They are annoyingly loud also.

Comment

I've got the Dewalt version. And yes, that style of motor, while powerful for its size, is stupidly noisy. I use it for what it's intended for but I'd rather use something else as a tool post grinder motor

There's also the issue that with the Roto-Zip being an open motor for air cooling through the brushes that you're going to suck up and transfer at least some degree of wheel dust during truing the wheels and metal particles during actual grinding. So all in all not the greatest option.

Comment

Man .. just use it for what it was made for.

I have a dremel above my bench with a cutting disc in it.
            I have a roto-zip above my bench with a cutting disc in it.
            I have a angle grinder above my bench with a cutting disc in it.

Trust me .. I use all of them all the time. the roto-zip is the perfect fit between
            the dremel and angle grinder.

There are several different models, I like the one that is var speed, and it also has
            a chuck instead of a collet .. which makes it more versatile.
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Consider it a dremel on steroids and use a flex shaft with it. Make your own tool-post mounted 'handpiece', with decent bearings and some pre-load. Keeping the motor off the lathe can be handy- you take up less space on the lathe, motor vibrations don't have a direct transfer mechanism to the lathe, and you have more flexibility with regards to positioning the 'business end'. In doing this I would choose a spindle with a 1/4 inch collet system, like a die grinder. You can always use a collet for 1/8 in shanks, but you can't mount a 1/4 in shank in a dremel.

You might be able to convert an air die grinder to a flex shaft so you can take advantage of the spindle and bearings already existing in a housing. Many weed eaters have a flex shaft, so it should be relatively easy to find something to use from a small engine repair place, or from a thrift shop.

Just another idea.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Just garbage for that use. I've got a couple - ok for drywall cutout - not much else.

Comment

Working...
                X