X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed ke6bnl
    replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    I've been using a tommy bar exclusively on mine for several years & have only seen minor wear of the holes. They fit pretty close when I set them up & still fit well after hundreds of tightenings. They're not hardened but aren't too soft either. YMMV
    would it help to have the bar much softer then the chuck material?

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    I've been using a tommy bar exclusively on mine for several years & have only seen minor wear of the holes. They fit pretty close when I set them up & still fit well after hundreds of tightenings. They're not hardened but aren't too soft either. YMMV

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    chucketn-

The tommy bar wallows out the holes after a while. The pin spanner does not. On that chuck you would use a pin spanner on the OD of the body and a hook spanner on the collet nut.

Leave a comment:

• chucketn
    replied
    Toolguy, the tommy bar is used to hold the chuck stationary while the collet nut is tightened or loosened. my lathe, as all 7x lathes, has no spindle brake.

Thanks for all the responses.

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• CalM
    replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Not sure about that particular brand but the two I bought (different sources for each) weren't particularly hard. I drilled & reamed each one on the edge with HSS tooling for a tommy bar with no problem at all.
    Ditto , I have three "like" the one pictured. A propane torch could perform local softening enough to allow drilling if it were hard.
    But for $70, It's NOT HARD! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Not sure about that particular brand but the two I bought (different sources for each) weren't particularly hard. I drilled & reamed each one on the edge with HSS tooling for a tommy bar with no problem at all.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    A pin spanner wrench works a lot better than a tommy bar. With the pin spanner it won't matter if it's hardened. There are 2 kinds of pin spanner. One goes on the face, with a pin on either side of the U shape, one goes around the circumference with one pin near the end. The latter one would be the way to go in this case. If you can't find one the size you want, or it's too expensive, it's easy enough to make your own. The holes for a tommy bar work for the pin spanner as well.

Leave a comment:

• chucketn
    started a topic HHIP 3901-5032 ER-32 Collet Chuck

HHIP 3901-5032 ER-32 Collet Chuck

Anyone know if the body of this collet chuck on Amazon.com ishardened?I would want to add tommy bar holes.
    https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3901-503.../dp/B01ADK2PM2

Chuck
Working...
X