Using an Amazon Echo in Your Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an Amazon Echo in Your Shop

Do you have an Amazon Echo? If so, have you tried using one in your shop?

I know some older guys might believe this is too much, but my 65 year old father came up to me and actually requested that we get an Amazon Echo for our shop to try.

Why would you want an Echo in your shop?
    1. We like to listen to music when we are doing mundane things in the shop. It’s nice to just ask for it, and to stop it when you get a phone call. We don’t have to run to the stereo or computer to hit pause quickly.
    2. We use it all the time to convert between Imperial and Metric units.
    3. You can use it as a calculator
    4. My dad is dyslexic, and has trouble spelling and searching for phone numbers for businesses, and other things on the computer.
    5. My dad is bad at spelling, and you can ask the Echo how to spell a word.

We have started using it so much that I decided to try to develop some more skills that would be useful in the shop. My first skill is ask what drill bit you need for a certain thread.

It’s called “Tap & Drill Sizes Chart Reference”
    You can simply say “Alexa, ask tap chart what drill I need for a 10-24 tap.”

And it will reply with the correct drill bit and the diameter size.

I’m curious as to what other uses you could use an Echo for, and if anyone has any other ideas for skills. I’m currently working on one for G-Codes.
    -Matt

Hmmm ?
    "Alexa: Tea, Earl Grey, Hot."

Comment

"Alexa, can you get this broken tap out?".

I think the idea has merit for some people. I will say it's not really for me. I'm not a luddite, but I find you really can't beat a keyboard and mouse (or a nice big tap chart!), at least for me. Voice always seems so slow to me. How slow is it?

Everyone is different .
      www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

I use the MachiningMate phone app for some shop stuff.

Comment

It's actually fairly fast. We have a large tap chart framed and hanging on the wall, but sometimes we are in the other room. Actually asking the Echo is sometimes faster than scrolling through the chart on the wall.

Like I said it was my father's idea, because using a keyboard and mouse is more difficult for him.
          -Matt

Comment

What happens when Alexa pipes up "What's wrong? We never go out for dinner or just for a walk any more.... are you seeing another Echo unit?".

er.... no thanks
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

careful... Alexa will side with your wife.

Comment

If a man says something in a forest and his wife or Alexa is not around to hear him is what he said still wrong?
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

err.... yup!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    err.... yup!
                    Is your wife reading this thread with you? I'd like to think you're wrong but I defer to the situation.... But then if she is reading your post and you say "yup!" then you're wrong about that... and that means that you're right about.... oh hell, I'm so confused now.....
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Surely, there must be something you have to reference at times in the shop.

Let's not go down the "My name isn't Surely" route. I've worked with too many old timers. I would be willing to make an Alexa Skill for anything you want in the shop. I'm sure we would find it useful as well. Like I said, my father loves the thing. I actually didn't want it. I wanted the Google Home, but he buys almost all his tooling off Amazon Prime now that Enco is basically gone. We get everything a lot faster and cheaper than dealing with eBay and China, Motion Industries, MSC, etc..
                      -Matt

Comment

Alexa would be most useful if she could see. "Alexa, where is my xxxxxx".

Comment

Do not fall for it.

Alexa and Siri are the FBI and NSA's wet dream. People buy this crap AND pay for the internet. These things and your phone's mic are on 24/7. No black helicopter stuff. At the very least you are paying to give everything going on in your household to google or apple.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN13P2ER

Comment

Might be useful in preventing lost tools.

"Alexa, I just placed my 9/16 Wrench on the shelf."
                            .... 10 minutes later.....
                            "Alexa, where's my *F**ng 9/16 wrench???!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                              Might be useful in preventing lost tools.

"Alexa, I just placed my 9/16 Wrench on the shelf."
                              .... 10 minutes later.....
                              "Alexa, where's my *F**ng 9/16 wrench???!!!"
                              You're lucky you still remember her name 10 min. later.
                              Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X