Trav-a-Dials on a Chinese lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trav-a-Dials on a Chinese lathe

Some years ago I bid on a pallet load of material at a State surplus property auction. I needed the hydraulic control valve that was one of the items on the pallet. The pallet also contained several unopened boxes that I assumed to be other hydraulic components. To my surprise, my low bid won. When I got the loot home I got another surprise. The sealed boxes did not contain hydraulic fittings. Instead, they contained brand new Trav-A Dials. Since I had no use for them at that time, I put them in my attic with intentions of selling them on eBay at a later date. Fast forward 20 years, and they're still in the attic. Also, I now own a 13 x 40 Chinese lathe, and would like to install the Trav-A Dials on it if that is a possibility. However, I have no idea of how to go about it. I hope someone on here has done it, and will be kind enough to tell me how to proceed. One of the dials has to be intended to go on a lathe since it says Cross slide on it's face.
    Last edited by Dave C; 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM. Reason: Added photo
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Will this help?
    http://www.southwesternindustries.co...Procedures.pdf
    Len

Comment

I need one if you want to sell one.

Comment

I would sell them and use that money to buy a electronic DRO. Electronic is much nicer, my 10ee came with a trav-a-dial and I dont miss it. And my guess is you will get enough out of them to buy one.

Comment

+1 for selling them and buying a good DRO.Trav-a-dials are better than nothing,but not nearly as nice as a good DRO.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
            Thanks for the link, and yes it helps.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
              +1 for selling them and buying a good DRO.Trav-a-dials are better than nothing,but not nearly as nice as a good DRO.
              Excellent advice. There is no substitute for the convenience, accuracy and ease of use of a good multi-axis DRO on a lathe or mill. Mechanical travel indicators are for Luddites.

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                I need one if you want to sell one.
                Same here.

Comment

I will sell them if I can get enough to buy a serviceable DRO. Pm me if you are interested.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                  X