Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: how to ship small heavy awkwardly shaped items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: how to ship small heavy awkwardly shaped items?

I have to ship a portable hydraulic crimping tool interstate. The head unit (the crimper) is fairly heavy, about 100 pounds. It is also awkwardly shaped, with parts that swing and rotate. There is also a hydraulic unit which is also heavy, about another 80 pounds. It is fairly compact. Then there are six boxes of crimping dies. These vary in weight but add up to maybe another 100 pounds.

The lot looks pretty much like this:

The way I see it I have two options. Number 1 is to disassemble the crimper unit and pack everything in multiple boxes and ship it e.g. UPS or FedEx. Number 2 would be to make up a small pallet and fasten the crimper unit down to it and make internal crates fastened to the pallet and then crate the whole thing and ship it by truck.

Any ideas?

metalmagpie

Seems ive heard of people using greyhoud for stuff like this. Maybe work a look

Comment

How far?Do you have a way to load it if crated together?

Fedex motor freight is one option,there are several others.

A 3/4 plywood crate,screwed together with a couple forklift skids under the bottom works well.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Probably least expensive to crate it together and ship with an LTL (less-than-trailer-load) freight carrier.

FEDEX, at least, may do crates and pallettized loads, but I am not sure if they still do. A number of years ago, at one job we had locomotive axles and wheels shipped, in oversize skidded crates, via FEDEX. Not cheap. That was set up by a freight broker, IIRC. (edit: as above, FEDEX still does)

Companies like Yellow (YRC, now) and Old Dominion tend to be less expensive and may be more reliable, given that UPS and FEDEX do a lot of manual handling, so heavy things can't get much structure around them and may still get dropped. The LTL carriers use pallette lifts and fork trucks, pretty much exclusively, so a crate with skids or on a pallette can be built to protect the parts and have low risk of damage. I will reserve my opinion about the various carriers, as it is formed more by the local reps than anything, and I don't deal with much with LTL shipping these days.

Comment

We routinely do LTL freight shipments using FedEx (preferred carrier for security sites) and YRC. YRC is usually cheaper but both have been reliable. There are also special companies that do nothing but crating and packaging. Those guys can often get things packed safely in a very efficient way that saves you money on freight.

Comment

Not knowing the dimensions other than your photos, I would think maybe putting the parts in two metal 5 gallon pales with tops or a metal 15 gallon barrel. My son-in-law bought a small block engine on E bay and it came in a metal 55 gallon drum, worked great.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

I would ship it all together to keep some parts from being lost.

Comment

Old car guys use Fastenal a lot for Engines, Hoods and Finders. They ship your stuff store to store. I would build a custom crate on a pallet.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third...ogistics-(3pl)

Comment

As you can see, there are a lot of options. A lot depends on how you package it and the weight.

If it's in several smaller and lighter packages then UPS or FedEx Ground might be best. They have weight and size limits (used to be 70 pounds and 108 inches length plus girth, but probably different now).

If there are Greyhound terminals close to each end of the trip, then this might work. You'll have to deliver it to the terminal and it will have to be picked up at the other end. There are also weight limits for each box. The Fastenal service sounds very similar.

For a one piece, door to door, shipment I would use an LTL carrier. This could be Yellow, Old Dominion, Conway, UPS Freight, FedEx Freight or any of dozens of others. If you go this way, use a pallet and make sure that it can take the weight of another pallet or two loaded on it, and can withstand being moved by pallet jack and forklift.

Get a total weight and the call around for pricing and size/weight limits. If LTL looks the best, then see about using a broker to reduce the cost.

As an aside: FedEx is many divisions of a parent company. The old FedEx overnight delivery is now branded as FedEx Express. The current FedEx Freight is the old Viking and American freight lines (LTL carriers). FedEx Ground and FedEx Home are the UPS equivalents that used to be RPS (Rodeway Package Service). And UPS Freight is a combo of the old Overnight and Motor Cargo LTL carriers. Everybody wants to offer all of the services of the other guy, so no one has an advantage.

Glenn

Comment

I shipped a small lathe by Fastenal from WA to VA for $190. Crated it up, dropped it off at the store, cousin-in-law picked it up at the store closest to him. Didn't take too long either, 4 or 5 days at most.

Comment

Another recommendation for Fastenal here. No personal interest, just a satisfied customer.

Comment

Working...
                      X