DSG compound slide angle indicator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSG compound slide angle indicator.

Can anyone tell me why the angle indicator on the compound slide on my dean smith and grace lathe reads 45 degrees when the slide is parallel to the spindle and zero when it is at 45 degrees?

Photo, please.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I seem to remember the zero on the scale was 45degrees to the right of perpendicular to the main axis but the compound Mark was also at 45, if you see what I mean, so setting at 45 is 45
      It's been a while
      Mark

Comment

USELESS SON INLAW
        I have been a lathe driver for the last 65 years. Every single one especially Monarch and Hardinge seem to have a compound that is designed by the useless soninlaw. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

You sure there isn't some other marks too? Some of the lathes I've run had multiple index marks at the 0, 45, and 90 positions. The idea being, I assumed, to pick the one that was easiest to use depending on the work being done. Could it be that the others are just a little worn and somewhat obscured?

My current lathe came with only the one index mark. It sure didn't take me long to add the two 90's for convenience. Have not had a need to mark the 45's yet. But the first time I find that it would be handy they'll appear quick enough.

Comment

My SB lathe has two index marks, and the smaller lathe with no index marks or protractor whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              You sure there isn't some other marks too? Some of the lathes I've run had multiple index marks at the 0, 45, and 90 positions. The idea being, I assumed, to pick the one that was easiest to use depending on the work being done. Could it be that the others are just a little worn and somewhat obscured?

My current lathe came with only the one index mark. It sure didn't take me long to add the two 90's for convenience. Have not had a need to mark the 45's yet. But the first time I find that it would be handy they'll appear quick enough.
              Its official i'm an idiot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Exactly what you have said. The compound slide is marked in three positions allowing you to take negative and positive readings up to 45 degrees and the central mark gives you angles off of the spindle axis. Perfect as you would expect from DSG.

Whats worrying is i've looked at this numerous times and couldn't work it out.

My next questions will be on cutting a diametric worm thread with two starts. Some patience on your behalf's may be required.

Yours truly

Terry ****wit
              Last edited by blckbx; 12-13-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Two start? I hope your spindle gear has an even number of teeth...

Dave H. (the other one)
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Bickbx, those graduations are the same as mine, useless if you want to set the compound at 30 degrees for instance. You try it , by moving the compound 60 degrees from parallell to the spindle axes, you run out of graduations !!.

Comment

Don't feel too bad. In the picture you posted I can't see diddly other than the middle one. And with the strong shading you'd get from the overhanging compound on the left and the "ghost" effect from the corner on the right side where it meets the change in surface I'm not surprised that they didn't leap out at you.

Roger, not at all. But you need to think outside the box. Turn the compound to right angles to the work. Now the far right index mark (the one closest to the compound's dial handle) is going to sit on the left hand "0" line. Use THAT line to angle back to 29° on the number scale that is closer to the compound's pivot.

The point where you'll need to put some extra marks on the compound's base will occur if you ever want to angle the compound so it points past the right angle and back towards the tail stock. At that time I'd suggest you index the "rear" mark, shown at the right side of your picture, with the left hand 0° mark. Now you should also see the other 0° mark on the tail side of the cross slide's scale showing. Now if DS&G didn't have the forethought to put a mark at that point it's your turn to add one. Now you can use that index mark to allow for angles over that 90° where the compound starts facing to the back and turns towards the tail stock.

OK, any bets that DS&G already put a mark or even full set of marks on the "other side" of the compound? It seems unlikely because it's not commonly used. But I know I've done it from time to time for a special tapered cut that runs in towards the live center. and DS&G seem to be the sort to know their stuff. So perhaps there's marks there already.

Comment

BCRider, after reading your reply, I went out late last night to look at the compound, definitely only one mark !. Sat thinking about it this morning, when a light came on......my DSG is 54yrs old and must have been painted a few times, went out and scraped the bloody paint off, bingo, 2 extra lines !. . All clear now thanks. I had marked the crosslide at 30degrees with a centre punch mark, never mind.

Comment

Glad I could help. And a curse on those with paint brushes that don't know when to stop....

Any more marks on the other side that would be used for some oddball job where the compound might be pointed back towards the tail stock?

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          Glad I could help. And a curse on those with paint brushes that don't know when to stop....

Any more marks on the other side that would be used for some oddball job where the compound might be pointed back towards the tail stock?
                          I looked at the backside of my compound today and no marks.

Comment

Thanks. Of course 99.99% of the jobs can be done with the three stock ones. So I guess it's no big surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
                              Two start? I hope your spindle gear has an even number of teeth...

Dave H. (the other one)
                              Or just keep using the same threading setting but advance your compound half the pitch, assuming it is parallel with the spindle.
                              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X