No announcement yet.

OT Just get out & fix it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmilling the prop depends a lot on the pitch you have. Use flat pitch for short field work and high load and it doesn't windmill well at all. I know because that is what I had on my C-140. It also lands a lot shorter with flat pitch. I could put it down in just around 200 feet. Nothing hard about tail wheel taxiing either. It just takes a few hours of practice. I soloed in just six hours. It took about three hours flying time and maybe 10 or so circuits and it just clicked in how to drive the thing on the ground. It's kind of like learning to ride a bicycle.

What I don't understand is why that guy is doing that. It looks like he has plenty of grass field right below.

some of the large flying boats had access to the rear of the engines from inside the nacelle
    Martin Mars is a good example. I have been in one. The guys I worked for in the 70's did the water bomber conversions.
    Last edited by Evan; 12-15-2016, 02:33 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I learned on ski's in a '40 Tcraft & the only issue with taxing a taildragger is it's hard to see especially from the back seat solo seat in a cub. Learning in a tailwheel is much easier than transforming later.

Comment

I fly a tail wheel Cub clone now. A CubCrafters CarbonCub SS.
        It's very light, 900# empty and has a 180 HP engine. Very, very high performance.
        You solo it from the front seat unlike the Piper J3 I learned in 55 years ago.
        If my engine were to quit I would just land in someone's back yard. That's about all the space you need in a CarbonCub.
        No way I would climb out to mess with the engine. It's tightly cowled anyhow.
        That guy was crazy bold.
        Those were the days.
        Bill
        I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
          That guy was crazy bold.
          Those were the days.
          Bill
          There's PLENTY of "Crazy bold" around now.

Just pay attention to the olympic snowboarding...and some of the more extreme version beyond even that. Makes ski-jumping look like a tame activity for old ladies.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
            I fly a tail wheel Cub clone now. A CubCrafters CarbonCub SS.
            It's very light, 900# empty and has a 180 HP engine. Very, very high performance.
            You solo it from the front seat unlike the Piper J3 I learned in 55 years ago.
            If my engine were to quit I would just land in someone's back yard. That's about all the space you need in a CarbonCub.
            No way I would climb out to mess with the engine. It's tightly cowled anyhow.
            That guy was crazy bold.
            Those were the days.
            Bill
            Those are quite the Hot Rods, I've mentioned it before but have a 160hp Tcraft in the experemental homebuilt class with a fresh Lyc O-320 B2B, everything new on the plane, engine hung,new real Scott Tundra tailwheel, 2 40 gal wing tanks built by Altre Dodge the Alaska super Cub guru for a guy that wanted to replicate the 3 Tcrafts that flew to England & were later called the Auster but licensed by Tylorcraft, a set of clipwings, a set of long wings for the wing tanks & a 27 gal aux tank for the clipwings & a set of amfib kevlar floats with elect gear but on wheels now with hyd heel brakes. Called a Taylorcoupe, just needs the wings rebuilt & the plane covered & painted. Going cheap if you know someone. I like the side by side seating, panel & Tcrafts airfoil which is the same as a Beech Staggerwing. She's going to be a rocket. Also have a fresh C90 Cont GPU.

Comment

FLYLO
              I'll let my local EAA chapter friends know.
              I'm way to old to start a project like that but it sounds interesting.
              Where do you base?
              I might drop in some nice day in the CC.
              Bill
              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Following some links led to the rest of the story. It was done as a stunt, he had a lady pilot at the controls.
                North Central Arkansas

Comment

SeaStar C91, Dowagiac, MI home of Heddon lures, the 25-06, Niedner Arms, etc. I have 2 hangers but the Taylorcoupe in in the hanger here on the farm where I have 2 grass strips. I'll PM my # if anyone's interested. Thanks!
                  Last edited by flylo; 12-16-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X