Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Well, you still can't quite forget about it.

It is still there, and just because the DRO says you are at the dimension does NOT mean you can cut.... you STILL have to take up backlash the correct direction to hold against the cut.

How about the 5th half of folks: "Install ballscrews and a DRO and forget about it" ?

Leave a comment:

• Seastar
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    The old "backlash debate" !!!

One half say "it's no problem, man up and get used to it".

The other half say "it's a nuisance and can be confusing, I want to fix it"

The third half says "check for loose things, no sense putting up with more than you have to."

I kinda like what that third half says.......
    I'm in the school that says install a DRO and "forget about it"
    That's what I am doing with my Chineese mill.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied
    Wow .. Those are awesome. I have been to that site lots .. and honestly think I have never scrolled down
    past the first pic.

I don't do a lot of boring .. but .. admit its gruesome doing it manually.

And I wonder how that power knee is connected in the knee. Its not where I thought one would be located.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Here is the lathes UK link http://www.lathes.uk/millrite/
    Mine is exactly like the picture with accompanying text:
    The Millrite could be fitted with attachments giving variable-speed power feed to the quill, the longitudinal travel of the table and the vertical movement of the knee; it was possible to include all three units on one machine.
    Shown above is the head with a power down-feed quill where a motor, attached to the back of the ram, provided an infinitely-variable speed from 0.5" to 2" per minute. The power could be knocked off manually at any point, or an automatic trip, positioned on the front of the head, used instead.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Ahhh.. that is your site! Very nicely done.. I have had it bookmarked for a while and have been referring to it quite a bit the last week. Appreciated. Tip of the hat at doing a rebuild and documenting it on a site. For those who don't know:
    http://www.mikeamick.com/millrite_project/head.htm

Aside from the quill, the head on mine is very different than yours.. much more going on.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied
    Don't know if you have this .. but ... if it helps

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
    I have never seen the factory powerfeed Z. A pic or two sometime would be great.

Most difficult part of Millrite rebuild... remembering Photobucket password. Once I get it degumed I'll try for some pics.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied
    I have never seen the factory powerfeed Z. A pic or two sometime would be great.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    If you really want those the effects of radial clearances - try using a boring-head and watch for the "wobble" of the quill in its bore.

It can be anywhere between a small PITA and a bigger one.

I clamp the quill on my mill-drills and use the mill head down-feed - on a vertical mill I'd power or hand-feed the knee.

Much better results.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The old "backlash debate" !!!

One half say "it's no problem, man up and get used to it".

The other half say "it's a nuisance and can be confusing, I want to fix it"

The third half says "check for loose things, no sense putting up with more than you have to."

I kinda like what that third half says.......

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Tif, when I said axial, I meant the screw the nut rides on was moving - too much end play.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    This is axial.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    "Slop" ("back-lash?") can be either or both axial or radial or parts of both.

I would not worry about the "axial" so long as it works (same as lathe/mill lead-screws and nuts" but radial (diametric if you like) can be a PITA as the quill "movers" (radially) which can usually be remedied by clamping the quill tight enough to reduced the "wobble" as much as is needed but still to have the quill axial movement satisfactory.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
    Mine is a Powermatic model, but should be similar. I had a bit of slop too. The nut on mine is split so it can be tightened down and that helped a little, but most of the slop turned out to be axial movement of the screw. A socket head screw and lock nut are used to adjust the axial play and are easily accessed at the bottom of the screw.

Iv'e thought about facing the handle mount face in order to tighten up the bevel gears a bit, but it's in the "good enough" range now.

That sounds quite different than mine. Nut is not split (wish it where) and manual mentions a split nut only on table nut (x axis).

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Mine is a Powermatic model, but should be similar. I had a bit of slop too. The nut on mine is split so it can be tightened down and that helped a little, but most of the slop turned out to be axial movement of the screw. A socket head screw and lock nut are used to adjust the axial play and are easily accessed at the bottom of the screw.

Iv'e thought about facing the handle mount face in order to tighten up the bevel gears a bit, but it's in the "good enough" range now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X