Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta has just issued a "Moose Licking Car" warning--o.t.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta has just issued a "Moose Licking Car" warning--o.t.

This is a new one on me.--Lived in Canada 70 years and never seen a warning like this before. Alberta has issued a warning to motorists to stay at least 100 feet from any moose with their car. Apparently the moose like the taste of the road salt on the cars and will lick your car if they get a chance. Motorists are also warned that if a moose begins licking their car, not to get out of the car and try to push the moose away. This conjurs up some hilarious images.--I licked an axe head once, as a kid, on a dare. My tongue immediately froze to the axe head and I had to bring the axe into the kitchen and set by the stove until the axe warmed up enough to release my tongue.--I can just see it now---People driving down the highways in Alberta, dragging moose along by their tongues.---oh God---I can't stand it-----
    https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...rovince/77003/
    Brian Rupnow

So, if, unknown to you, a moose licks itself fast to your car and you unwittingly drag it to its death, are you allowed to claim the carcass as is the case if you accidentally hit and kill a moose in Alaska?

Will the law-loving tree huggers establish a fine and jail sentence for poachers who spray their fenders with salt water to lure unwitting moose (as if there were "witting" moose) to a grisly death by road rash?

Jay Leno could construct an entire Tonight Show monologue around this. He loves tongue-in-cheek humor.
    Last edited by mklotz; 12-16-2016, 02:43 PM.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

...Jay Leno ......He loves tongue-in-cheek humor.
      More like "tongue on car" humor I'm thinking.....If they kept their tongues in their cheeks there'd be nothing to talk and laugh about

Shirley (sic) this isn't a new thing. We've been salting our roads and cars for decades now. Or is it a case of our new "animal ignorant" city dwellers are actually stepping out and trying to push poor Bullwinkle away as suggested by the story?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

We really should be trying to thin the herd a bit. "If you think it's a good idea, get out of your vehicle and approach the moose/bear/ram/coyote/wolf."

Comment

Most animals like road salt and seem to crave it. Few years ago i had a red squirrel chew one of the plastic wheel discs on my car that was covered in road salt.

Comment

the road signs outta be a real hoot...

Comment

Never had any issues with moose at home in Alberta,but have had numerous altercations with them in BC interior when sledding their.One time we were following the North Thompson river and had waited numerous times for a moose to let us pass but finally got by her except the last guy and when he went by her she stood on her back legs and pawed at him going by within a couple feet.That guy just about s#%^ himself.

Comment

That tongue story sounds like that kid in the movie "A Christmas Story" that they show every year. The kid gets his tongue stuck to a traffic sign pole.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at it another way. If you could lure a moose family in to lick your car ... you would save the money you'd spend at the carwash removing the salt.

Comment

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
                    That tongue story sounds like that kid in the movie "A Christmas Story" that they show every year. The kid gets his tongue stuck to a traffic sign pole.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                    Aluminum Flag pole.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

They do some weird things over in Alberia...
                      Keith

Comment

The warnings are there to prevent being on the wrong end of a lawsuit when some idiot gets the crap stomped out of them by a wild animal.

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                          So, if, unknown to you, a moose licks itself fast to your car and you unwittingly drag it to its death, are you allowed to claim the carcass as is the case if you accidentally hit and kill a moose in Alaska?

Will the law-loving tree huggers establish a fine and jail sentence for poachers who spray their fenders with salt water to lure unwitting moose (as if there were "witting" moose) to a grisly death by road rash?

Jay Leno could construct an entire Tonight Show monologue around this. He loves tongue-in-cheek humor.
                          I think you meant "tongue in salt" didn't you?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Never met a moose but once spent a summer working in a stable yard. Horses like salt too! They would sneak up behind and lick my neck, they have very large, very wet tongues. You can't ignore them, they just don't seem to get bored.

Comment

Working...
                            X