Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a tool guy, love tools. Not a Machinist. I dont like the BS with calling out "X"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am a tool guy, love tools. Not a Machinist. I dont like the BS with calling out "X"

    Not good at all Ladies and Gentlemen.

    I am a fan of banter or other forms of "tool room" "comedy" ... The problem is some of us folks in other Continents don't perceive the humor as fast, yup, thats us.

    So please refrain from the Joke or never ending story about so and so. You old chappies sound as old as you are.

    And I love you all. That should be obvious. I am lackadaisical with my time. I am not near the ripe old age of you ol cuss's. Just sayin..

    Quit the one-upmanship. I would rather hear about a project VS me ranting about the lack of projects. Hypocrite. I am...

    So.. Stop bashing on my Friend Tiffie. And stop being so freaking critical when a person posts some work. You guys are brutal, I am NOT kidding...

    JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

  • #2
    Sounds like a plan................ I'm with you on that.

    But can we do just a little banter? We have a lot of UK and colonials, and I confess, I LIKE some of their humor (and some I flat don't get... never did like Benny Hill).
    1601

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks JR - appreciated.

      I can handle myself in the "rough and tumble" and in most - but not all - cases give as good as I get when it all gets a bit too "personal" as I got to be a pretty good "street fighter" and it was enough to make any "ambitious" wanna be" opponents think twice.

      What I really do detest is the way "pile-ons" develop and in which some in the protection (i.e. safety from any damage) of numbers in a crowd get in for their "licks and kicks".

      I still shudder when I think of "Kevin" aka "Air-Smith" who was very badly battered on the literal and figurative type on "pile on" that should never have happened here.

      He was left to develop to the stage that it did with the result that Kevin was very wounded, was quite battered and not able to adequately defend himself from the over whelming numbers participating in the "pile on".

      I can handle things that are directed my way but not every body can or does come out of it very well.

      I suspect that we lost some very good members here as well as many of the large numbers here who read the posts members - as many are potentially excellent members who really have a lot to offer and perhaps even join.

      This will in large part include what some here denigrate as "newbies" when they are not or should no be.

      I do detest the word "newbie/newby" when it is derogatory and used as a "put down" to a new member who is potentially very exposed and vulnerable until he sees how it "works" as he may be not as aware as some others as to what his rights and obligations are or may be

      There is no "rank" here as all "promotions" are based solely and only on "numbers of posts" where quality of the posts is not considered for "advancement of rank".

      Time as members is not really important either.

      So, in the matter of "rank" and "time as members" we are all equal here and will be equal while we are members.

      Esteem must be earned within the forums.

      The final"say" rests with and only with George Bulliss.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can relate entirely with JR's stance that he is not a "machinist"- not-with-standing a lot of the excellent work he has done over a very long time and advice that he extends to all unstintingly.

        Its fair to say that I've worked in a shop or two on a machine and fitting bay set up in my time and have a skill base that assists me no end in getting what I might care to do in my shed which occasionally gets used as my shop with what ever jobs I have to hand.

        So - I am not a "master" or any other type/s or class/es of "machinist" -at all in these my later years -and I am very happy in it and with it.

        I am just an old bloke who mucks around in his shed - no more and no less.

        I really do admire the work and progress as well as assistance given to others here too.

        Comment


        • #5
          A very long time ago---

          For a number of complex reasons I went on a 6 month long government run " Centre Lathe Turners " course. The Instructor, a semi retired fellow who had worked for Napiers, the aero and locomotive engine builders, sat us all down one afternoon and lectured us on the "Value" of our work. He emphasised, that though some of us might end up making custom made watches for rich folk, and others might end up repairing giant rock crushers, the actual LEVEL of skill and knowledge to successfully do either was probably about the same, but that the work itself was entirely different. If we can only accept that " The other fellow" is offering genuine advice based on his experiences then perhaps we can become more tolerant of other postings. I hope this is thought provoking. Regards David Powell.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
            The final"say" rests with and only with George Bulliss.

            And it was George who banned Airsmith282.


            He was a dangerous idiot with little or no experiance or training , and a real desire to prove it. He was laughed at because he created threads about UFOs and exhaust plugs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
              I can relate entirely with JR's stance that he is not a "machinist"- not-with-standing a lot of the excellent work he has done over a very long time and advice that he extends to all unstintingly.

              Its fair to say that I've worked in a shop or two on a machine and fitting bay set up in my time and have a skill base that assists me no end in getting what I might care to do in my shed which occasionally gets used as my shop with what ever jobs I have to hand.

              So - I am not a "master" or any other type/s or class/es of "machinist" -at all in these my later years -and I am very happy in it and with it.

              I am just an old bloke who mucks around in his shed - no more and no less.

              I really do admire the work and progress as well as assistance given to others here too.
              That is not true Old Stiffie that you are not a master. You are a master of BS. and Google. Maybe not of tools because you have to use them to actually become a master!
              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                Not good at all Ladies and Gentlemen.

                I am a fan of banter or other forms of "tool room" "comedy" ... The problem is some of us folks in other Continents don't perceive the humor as fast, yup, thats us.

                So please refrain from the Joke or never ending story about so and so. You old chappies sound as old as you are.

                And I love you all. That should be obvious. I am lackadaisical with my time. I am not near the ripe old age of you ol cuss's. Just sayin..

                Quit the one-upmanship. I would rather hear about a project VS me ranting about the lack of projects. Hypocrite. I am...

                So.. Stop bashing on my Friend Tiffie. And stop being so freaking critical when a person posts some work. You guys are brutal, I am NOT kidding...

                JR
                I agree with you 100%. I was bashed for my spelling. The ones that bashed me are worse in spelling then i am. I wounder back in school days if they finished with a 3.9

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello! What is the meaning of "BS" ?

                  Masimec's home shop

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Joking around is one thing,but spiteful end sniping really serves no purpose but to run the forum down.Last I looked the forum is open to people of all different skill levels and has proven it possible to learn things even from the greenest novice.

                    And just because someone doesn't post a phone book full of project pics,or doesn't produce a dump truck load of swarf a week,it doesn't mean they don't have something to contribute.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by masimec View Post
                      Hello! What is the meaning of "BS" ?

                      Masimec's home shop
                      Bull ****,or meaningless nonsense,lies,half-truths that sort of thing.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by masimec View Post
                        Hello! What is the meaning of "BS" ?

                        Masimec's home shop
                        Bachelor of Science. That's why college educated folks know so much more about how to do things than those guys out there actually doing it. :-)

                        Puckdropper has a Bachelor of Science degree, so he oughta know - ed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, and then you have the guys that will spend four hours on Google to prove you wrong if you miss-state something by more than 0.00002%.

                          We have a lot of Google experts here but few masters of machining. But, this is a home shop forum; does it really matter? It's often a source of entertainment.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                            And stop being so freaking critical when a person posts some work. You guys are brutal, I am NOT kidding...

                            JR
                            I agree with that. Some guy posts something he's no doubt proud of and its like a rush as everyone tries to prove how clever they are spotting flaws. Where's Waldo.

                            The rest, I don't so much agree with. This site has a culture and thank goodness is largely self policed. It may cause the odd dust up, but overall its far healthier than having kindergarten class behaviour legislated by a monitor. Take a look at some of those sites, they become poisonous and insult are still tossed just either by those favoured by a moderator or clever enough to do so via innuendo and ambiguous remarks. Like the cowardly rant against something you proffered, but being indirect enough so it doesn't trigger a loser monitor telling eveyone to play nice. Happens less here and when it does you're free to confront.

                            Certain activities deserve a negative response imo. Airsmith while I thought very entertaining was a danger. OT gets spanked because of his endless and tedious links, half the time they're google searches. Its just stupid. Perhaps if he takes enough heat for it he'll get the message that I don't like him doing so. Perhaps if he gets the message from a lot of members, he'll stop. I can't tell someone what to post, but I can tell them what I think of the post.

                            Its very light handed moderation that makes this site great imo, all of what flows from that is not ideal, but overall is far better than the alternative. Good for you for speaking up, it can change the culture as ideas resonate with other members (like not being a so critical of work posted just for the sport of doing so)
                            Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-17-2016, 11:17 AM.
                            .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Once upon a time I had a private conversation with George. I asked him how he managed to put up with all the "bs" that comes across this forum.
                              He replied "it's just the internet"
                              Good advice from a wise man.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X