Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you run into oddball thread sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Maybe we should start including fraction metric threads, just to piss the French off "That needs a 15/16cm x 3/4mm thread"
    I still don't see why I should have to deal with their problem in 1789. Especially with them being on the other side of the ocean. I've already got everything I need right here. I'm well aware of and fluent in scientific (greek) prefixes. Too bad everyday life doesn't need them. If I'm feeling feisty I can always take one-seventh of a mm for a feed rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
      Maybe we should start including fraction metric threads, just to piss the French off "That needs a 15/16cm x 3/4mm thread"
      As long as I can make them on a cnc lathe, I suppose most any pitch is possible. Never mind the French. I'm wondering what the Brits were thinking with their Whitworth thread series. The 55* included angle is odd enough, but 4 1/2 inch nominal with 2.875 threads per inch?

Comment

• Originally posted by PeterAus View Post
        Have you tries looking at BA threads for that 3/16 or 10 gauge screw maybe its a 1 or 2 BA https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/articles/threads.htm
        Hi Peter, I appreciate the reference but a replacement screw was made long ago to fit.
        Last edited by BCRider; Today, 12:46 PM.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
          It's not an oddball thread size... but it's related.

I got tired of my younger brother stealing my large spanners. So, when I needed to make a large nut for a tool, I made it and paired it with a spanner that won't tempt him.
          A friend of mine had 5 sided "Security Lugnuts" for the wheels on his Miata.

Mike

Comment

• Working on some post war Lionel trains. 6x40 thread pitch screws...

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Working on some post war Lionel trains. 6x40 thread pitch screws...
              Have you seen the BSME (or just ME) thread series? "British Standard Model Engineer"
              Got a set of taps/dies for same off eBay a couple years back.
              Rather interesting series because they have constant pitch:
              Every diameter can be either 32 TPI or 40 TPI...
              Fun for playing with shop-made mics
              Pretty cheap too, less than $120 for a set from India.
              I think the flank angle is 55deg, Whitworth form.

Comment

• No one but him? Likely as not, they would just grab a pipe wrench.

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                I like that proprietary 7 sided nut. Talk about oddball fasteners!
                No one is going to tighten or loosen that puppy but you.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                X