OT....and kijiji just gets worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT....and kijiji just gets worse

you don't have you kjijiji in the US do you?

Its owned by fleabay and is a very slick online classifieds service, free and with a superior interface to Craigslist. I say that with some confidence as its just about displaced Craigslist - for example I just searched "lathes" in TO and got 351 hits on kijiji. On CL, 8.

So here's the problem. Its always been free and mostly I figured the business model was one of advertising. They've reveal a rather nefarious new model and it just sucks for us no-pro buyers and sellers. Now you are limited in the number ads, 14 for tools. If you want ads for more than that, you have to subscribe to a pay per click model. The model lets you determine what the CPC (cost per click) is and the higher the cost per click you choose, the higher the item will be in searches and displays.

So, if you're trying sell a bunch of stuff its easy to go over 14 ads so now the site worse because there is less variety, and secondly, when you search, the first several pages will become more and more commercial and business as opposed to individuals which is what makes the whole classified buy and sell thing fun and interesting imo.

I suppose there is nothing to do be done, but damn I wish CL would wake up. With a decent interface and the way to positively differentiate themselves (how about real classifieds for real people? haha) they should frantic to act......because you have to think Canada was a proving ground and eventually this be come to the US. Look out CL, you're going to be in trouble.

I'd thought of putting an image in a kijiji ad, sort of a sign that says "See my Craiglists for stuff". Bet I'd get banned pretty quickly. Has to be an image, they filter out the C word (tried)
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-18-2016, 04:04 PM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Kajiji is a division of eBay, who started it as a direct competitor to Cragslist. I have no idea why it 'caught on' in Canada more than the US, but I suspect it was more a timing thing than anything. Basically, K got there first, as C was expanding, and as it was there first, got more use. And as far as sales like Craigslist and whatnot go, obviously you want to go with the one that has more traffic, so your item sells faster. It's self-perpetuating.

On the tools, I don't know about Kajiji in Canada, but I know a lot of Craigslists here in the states have a problem with pawn shops and secondhand stores posting dozens, if not hundreds, of listings every day, for the usual flea-market crap like circular saws, cordless drills and belt sanders. The limited posting bit might be a way to keep a rein on those.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Craigslist around my area is getting bad. There is one dealer from Grand Rapids that advertises in all the C/Ls withing 150 miles under "by owner" has maps & all so you e-mail & he tells you of an auction he has coming up. I've been to his operation about 4 years ago, the nice stuff went overseas, the grade 2 was sold at auction, grade 3 parted out & grade 4 went for scrap. Since then auction seems to grade 3 & 4 also. Broken things listed a in good working condtion per oener(Bid Lie). Do the letter BTM mean anything to people in my area? Must mean Better Take Money.

Comment

Typical eBay thinking. Try to maximize profit and in this case, shoot yourself in the foot.
        CL is great because it's free. Anything else might be good too if it were free. That's why people use it. Figures that something run by the likes of eBay monetizers would not see this over their greed. It's basic, but common sense goes out the window once your eyes see only green.
        If it dies for the average consumer, and it will at least in the way it has been used apparently, then they have only themselves to blame. If it works for commercial sellers, then so be it. If I'm looking for a local seller trying to unload their stuff for a song, I'll continue to use CL.

You can exclude a problem lister on CL just as you exclude things off eBay and Google searches. Just add a minus sign and a specific string to pick out what you don't want to show up, i.e. " <description> -BTM "and the search will return everything you describe unless it has the string "BTM" in it, which it will exclude.

Comment

I use Kijiji quite a bit, and you have to know the ropes a little, as Kijiji say's, always buy in person and accept cash only.
          I have had the odd scammer try it on.
          Also there has been more than a few instances where boosters have been caught, a while back one guy had a very expensive and rare piece of test equipment boosted from his car, he noticed one on Kijiji, and asked the guy for the serial No. turned out to be his, he arranged a meet together with undercover cops!
          But so far my experiences have been good.
          Max.

Comment

Seems that the kjijiji hidden establishment "plan" worked pretty well - it also seems that the "something for (almost?/nearly?) nothing" strategy still works and works pretty well too.

Good "bait" and good "hook" too it seems.

But I guess we learn as we go - mostly? - well, don't we?

Oh - it seems that some are slow learners.

Comment

For me CL works well, just gotta just gotta avoid plurals, lathe will get you lathes etc, and know the common misspellings for various tools.

I'm with Flylo there are a lot of people who abuse CL, There's someone over by flint that not only covers most of the state, but floods it with the same ads. In that case it's not an auction, just overpriced crap that wouldn't be worth driving that far at half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                Kajiji is a division of eBay, who started it as a direct competitor to Cragslist. I have no idea why it 'caught on' in Canada more than the US, but I suspect it was more a timing thing than anything. Basically, K got there first, as C was expanding, and as it was there first, got more use. And as far as sales like Craigslist and whatnot go, obviously you want to go with the one that has more traffic, so your item sells faster. It's self-perpetuating.

it is self perpetuating once establish, but it happened imo because kijiji is just a lot nicer to browse and use. Not sure I see the timing thing. For the longest time you had to browse and post with both and eventually the collective saw kijiji was nicer and gravitated there....but they neck and neck for a long time. I also recall a bit of advertising blitz so there's that in the mix as well.

On the tools, I don't know about Kajiji in Canada, but I know a lot of Craigslists here in the states have a problem with pawn shops and secondhand stores posting dozens, if not hundreds, of listings every day, for the usual flea-market crap like circular saws, cordless drills and belt sanders. The limited posting bit might be a way to keep a rein on those.
                They did/do have some decent filters for that. One weekend I start posting a ton of stuff i wanted to sell and it wouldn't anymore than 15 ads in a 24 hour period. Its also tricky to set up more than account (IP or cookies or god know else) and it won't let you post more than one "similar" ad within a time period.

I think you nailed it with the perpetual part.........they lose that if they lose good content (less good individual ads of unique items, more overprice deal ads). you could also flag for spam.....anyway, if it was business i'd figure how to address the problem, this is throwing the baby out to.

I think you guys are next if CL doesn't get of their arses....they have already lost here but for you.....I suspect this whole Canada thing is a 'develop and prove the concept' effort
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-18-2016, 06:50 PM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I don't mind the new rules. I had to rearrange some ads I had going for junk I was trying to get rid of, had to consolidate some similar ads. Other than that I find its cleaned up the place fairly well. Has helped with the repeat posters who put the same ad in 8 cities instead of hoping people will use the search tools properly. Its annoying when my phone explodes because someone made 10 identical ads with the word mitutoyo in it and set off my alerts.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

The crap I can't stand about CL are the guys that put up an ad for a 5.00 HF screwdriver set every other day for months on end or the person selling worn out leaf rakes. I used to scan it every day and now it's down to a couple of times a week.

Comment

A few years ago eBay owned a large stake in Craigslist. At that time they deliberately did not compete with each other. I don't know if they sold their stake in CL recently.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X