Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A simple question where we do not need to argue.!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple question where we do not need to argue.!

Which do you prefer using, your milling machine or your lathe? and perhaps why? Regards David Powell.

I'd have to say lathe, because I make way more parts on it than on the mill. Plus it's faster to set up and use, and you can do multiple operations in one setup.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I can make equal amounts of scrap on either, but the milling tools cost more when you break them so for me it's the lathe
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

DP after JT's post I was driving to the hardware store today thinking - Geeze all's we need is for someone to ask what's better a mill or a lathe lol im serious..

the answer is simple --- I prefer using my mill because it is also a lathe...

Comment

what the heck...only an idiot would pick.....hahaha sorry, just KIDDING!!!!!!!!!
          Lathe for me as well. It is somehow more "soothing". even if you get feeds and speeds wrong.
          Do that on the mill and it just seems so violent.
          But...I wouldn't be without either.

Comment

I like the mill(s) more because they are CNC. I can do everything on them easily, including any thread imaginable. I use them in manual mode about 1/3 of the time. BUT I really like the lathe too, my current one is a good quality heavy 14 x 40 with a killer readout and VFD and very well tooled. I do more milling, but you really need both to complete most projects. However, if you don't do it right, CNC is just a faster way to make scrap.

Comment

A simple question where we do not need to argue.!
              haha, we'll find a way!

Comment

I guess I like the lathe more. It works the same way I do. When I get to discussing something I'm interested in, the information just flows and sometimes leaves people's heads spinning. So I guess I'm used to working with spinning objects.

A mill doesn't necessarily have to spin. You can insert a knife or ink pen and use the mill to produce useful work.

Comment

Lathe. The way material is removed is much more satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                    A simple question where we do not need to argue
                    Actually, shaper. If I had a manual mill at home, that would likely be it, though. I prefer the lathe to the CNC mill. The CNC can do things nothing else can, but it's too much like being at work.

Comment

If I ever decide to do something I'd pick lathe.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

I prefer using my milling machine. Maybe because of the DRO and VFD. The lathe has a gearbox and dial indicator.

Mostly I like using the one that will do the job that is at hand.

Mike

Comment

A lathe is the most used machine in any shop but one can not be with out a mill

Comment

Depends on the job. If I want a round part, I like the lathe best. If I want a square part, I like the mill unless, of course, it's a turner's cube.

Comment

It made me think what I prefer more, to inhale or exhale. What about our preferences on turning the lights On or OFF?

Philosophical discussions were always preferred by me over the use of either sledge hammers or drain snakes.

P.S. For some reason, I think that it's better to be rich and healthy than poor and ill. But I cannot explain the rational behind my thinking so.
                              I guess I should start a separate thread on this subject...

Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X