Mobil Beacon 325 grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobil Beacon 325 grease?

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Sounds pretty nice for greased machine bearings, gears, etc. Tough to get a hold of.. near as I can tell only available in large/expensive quantities. From the Mobil site:

Product Description

BEACON™ 325 is a high performance grease specifically formulated for the lubrication of precision equipment operating at moderate and low temperatures. It is made with a synthetic base oil of extremely low viscosity and low volatility plus a lithium soap. BEACON 325 is characterised by good mechanical stability, a high degree of resistance to water and extremely high oxidation stability. As its base oil viscosity is low and the viscosity index of the fluid is high, the grease has excellent low temperature properties including low starting and running torque at very cold temperatures and good pumpability.

BEACON 325 provides excellent service in a wide variety of small bearings and small, lightly loaded gears that operate over a wide temperature range. Its long lubrication life and excellent oxidation stability well suit it for use as a bearing lubricant in sealed-for-life units in automotive, aircraft and industrial applications. The recommended application temperature range for continuous operation for BEACON 325 is -50؛C to 120؛C.

Features and Benefits

BEACON 325 is a member of the Mobil brand of lubricating products recognized for their high quality and reliability, as well as performance capabilities. As with other Mobil greases, this product is manufactured to the strictest quality standards. A key feature of BEACON 325 is its use of a synthetic fluid to provide optimum performance for low temperature precision applications. BEACON 325 offers the following quality features:

Special synthetic base oil provides excellent low-torque and low temperature properties
    Excellent oxidation stability for extended grease life needed for filled for life applications
    Very good water resistance ensures proper lubrication even in the presence of incidental water contamination
    Low volatility base oil permits operation at moderate to high temperature without fluid evaporation

Applications

Application notes: BEACON 325 is formulated with an organic ester synthetic oil. This synthetic oil may cause a softening or swelling of certain plastics, elastomers, paints, or varnishes. How serious the softening or swelling tendency may be depends also on the temperature and the period of contact. Contact your local ExxonMobil lubricants representative for further information on materials compatibility.

BEACON 325 provides excellent service in a wide variety of small bearings and lightly loaded gears that operate over a wide temperature range, including such applications as:

Naval, marine, and aircraft instruments and control mechanisms
    Geared limit switches in Limitorque valve actuators
    Commercial and military electronic equipment
    Sealed for life motors, generators, and similar equipment in automotive, aviation and industrial applications

Specifications and Approvals
    Beacon 325 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
    DIN 51825
    KE1-2-50

Typical Properties
    Beacon 325
    NLGI Grade 2
    Thickener Type Lithium
    Color, Visual Tan
    Penetration, Worked, 25 ؛C, ASTM D 217 285
    Dropping Point, ؛C, ASTM D 2265 180
    Viscosity of Oil, ASTM D 445 [email protected]؛ C 12
    Apparent Viscosity, ASTM D 1092
    @ 20sec-¹ and -40؛ C, Poise 7,000
    @ 50sec-¹ and -40؛ C, Poise 3,500
    Oil Separation, FTMS 791B321.3, 30 hrs @ 100؛ C, mass % 4
    Corrosion Prevention, ASTM D 1743 Pass

Originally posted by softtail View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this stuff? ... BEACON
    Thanks. That all sounded fantastic, until I realised I had parsed it as "BACON". I really should not internet before breakfast...

Comment

It's after midnight here, I've just had a late supper and also read it as 'bacon'...

Comment

Tht's funny I saw Bacon too, now I'm hungry.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

That's something I could get behind.. hi tech bearing grease that smells like bacon.

Comment

In the electrical department at Home Depot
            they sell what is called
            "New Work Boxes".
            For ever I would see the shelf tag as saying
            "New York Boxes".

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

They say it's a NLGI Grade 2 grease with a temperature range for continuous operation of -50؛C to 120؛C (-58oF to 248oF) which seems to be very low for a #2 grease. They also claim oil separation is 4% which seems very high. For comparison Texas Refinery Corporation's #2 Paragon 3000 grease has an upper operating temperature of 570oF (298oF) and oil separation of 0.00%.

I wouldn't use the Mobil grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                They say it's a NLGI Grade 2 grease with a temperature range for continuous operation of -50؛C to 120؛C (-58oF to 248oF) which seems to be very low for a #2 grease. They also claim oil separation is 4% which seems very high. For comparison Texas Refinery Corporation's #2 Paragon 3000 grease has an upper operating temperature of 570oF (298oF) and oil separation of 0.00%.

I wouldn't use the Mobil grease.
                For those exact reasons it seems ideal for greased machine tool bearings.. at least the ones I have with lower rpms and temps. Oil separation can be a good thing (from Nye lubricants):

The oil is the primary lubricating component of the grease. One might assume that 0% oil separation would be the best result, but depending on the application, some oil separation is desirable and necessary. In these specific applications, the deliberate design of oil separation will make the oil available to critical surfaces of the component.

Comment

From page 165 of http://www.koehlerinstrument.com/lit...ng-Greases.pdf

The test method which conforms to the specifications of ASTM D1742, FTM 791-322 "Determines the tendency of lubricating grease to separate oil during
                  storage in a 35 lb pail."

Since I know the TRC grease is a very high quality grease I used it as a comparison. I would expect other high quality NLGI Grade 2 greases to have similar properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    From page 165 of http://www.koehlerinstrument.com/lit...ng-Greases.pdf

The test method which conforms to the specifications of ASTM D1742, FTM 791-322 "Determines the tendency of lubricating grease to separate oil during
                    storage in a 35 lb pail."

Since I know the TRC grease is a very high quality grease I used it as a comparison. I would expect other high quality NLGI Grade 2 greases to have similar properties.
                    From what I can gather 0% separation is not ideally suited for ball bearings. I have no doubt the TRC is high quality..that particular type is not the best for everything.

Here's more from machinerylubrication.com (more good reading at http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...-reliability):

Bleeding (Federal Test Method 321.2)
                    Percentage of oil separating from a grease sample held in a wire cone is commonly measured after 30 hours at 100°C. A 2 to 5 percent range is often desirable. Lack of bleeding characterizes a grease which fails to supply adequate lubrication to rolling-element bearing surfaces and may result in noisy operation. Excessive bleeding leads to leakage and shortened grease life.
                    Last edited by softtail; 12-20-2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: added url

Comment

The Mobil Beacon 325 is a good quality product when used for it's intended purpose. We used to go thru many pails and and kegs of it annually when I was in fuels and lubricant distribution, all of it to industrial accounts.
                      Many of these products are only available in this type of packaging due to the product not being suitable for dispensing in tubes. This is partially due to the bleeding characteristics of the product when subjected to long term storage in grease guns.

Another issue that directs marketing and package considerations of a product like this is that often times a product available in tubes will be used in pins and bushing just because it's in the gun and the grease just happens to always "fit" even though it is not intended or suitable for that application. This results in a product undeservedly receiving a bad reputation.

Bleeding of the base oil is a good quality in a sealed component, not so good in an open excavator pin bushing.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Thanks Willy. What you say makes perfect sense to me. Never thought about the packaging! That's why even the lighter Mobil XHP greases are only in pails I suppose. I have been using XHP 222 and have had a nagging feeling it's on the thick side.. whether it matters is another matter, but interesting to learn about.
                        Last edited by softtail; 12-20-2016, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Ended up going with Timken high speed spindle grease fwiw. The lighter greases for machine spindles/cnc are finicky to source, partly due I suspect by the packaging/misuse issues mentioned by Willy.

Comment

Working...
                          X