Monarch for 2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarch for 2k

Just posted on craigslist last night. It's 6 a.m. Do I wake them up or wait until a civilized hour?
    I haven't figured out how to post a link. It is the Bakersfield craigslist.

10ee? whether its wake them up and run or roll over and go back to sleep yourself.....is entirely dependent on condition and tooling
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I am not familiar enough with Monarch to tell from the few pictures.
      Quick internet search...I am thinking it is a 16c.
      Last edited by 1-800miner; 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Ad says call or text.... I'd text them ASAP saying you're interested, and ask them what time you should call.

That's a nice looking lathe w/ taper attachment. I like the spin-on oil filter. That probably wasn't original, but a great idea!
        Looks to be a 14C model.
        Last edited by Bellingahmster; 12-20-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I'd text I'd take it subject to inspection if you're serious.

Comment

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/tls/5926133774.html

Comment

Just finished a phone call. It's mine. Pick it up after Christmas.
              4 and 3 jaws, milk crates of tooling. Also a horizontal mill to look at.
              I asked if it was a 14 or 16. The reply, "Oh it's really a big machine"
              And it is single phase.

Comment

Nice score.

Comment

Congratulations! That sounds and looks great. How far away is it? That bodes well that the tooling is in similar condition. The shop also looks very clean. And the rod and clamp for the taper are present - they're often missing. Which one of those rods is the leadscrew? I can't see threads. What's the story on "Tonya"? It isn't a name you normally expect with a Monarch sale.

Regarding posting helpful for sale links.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to post a for sale ad or auction listing in order to be helpful. It sure seems like that would be helpful. But now, I don't generally think it is.

Posting it can spoil a deal, or raise the price. You may be alerting a broker or dealer. This happens often with other similar items - vises, for example. Someone posts a link asking if it is a good deal, and poof - gone. Or someone else calls first and gets a 'hold' on the machine.

Anyone who wants one of these machines, and is willing to put the time in to search and inspect, can find one. But posting links just undermines their efforts and potentially allows someone lazy to get the jump.

Someone local may be scrambling to make arranagements to buy a machine. And it's not just a matter of money - it's finding the time to inspect (it takes quite a lot of time to inspect a lathe like that - even if you have practice), figuring out how to rig and haul it, whether they have sufficient space, etc. Whether the electrical and RPM capability of the machine meet their needs, etc.

Even on the PM Monarch forum, people don't post these for sale ads. The only exception is typically when an ad has stayed up for a prolonged period of time, or when an ad implies scrapping soon.

It's the same situation with auctions. I spent a lot of time tracking down info on a lathe at auction earlier this year. It was a short auction, 4 days, and it was over a weekend. It was listed Thursday and I saw it Friday. It was a rare lathe, and I really wanted it.

Getting in contact with the seller, at an R&D facility, was a major effort - I wasn't even able to do that. With significant effort and honest schmoozing, I managed to speak with some other people who worked at the company (a subsequent callback revealed that the staff had been put on company-wide alert about giving out info). I tried but wasn't able to arrange an inspection for Monday. The machine was 7.5 hours away. I drove downstate, 4 hours closer, hoping I might get to inspect on the Monday before the auction. It was described as 'poor' condition, but the photos suggested otherwise.

If someone had posted that auction, I would have been screwed - there would have been a lot of interest. Fortunately no one did. I sat inside on the first gorgeous spring day of the year - 80F and sunny - bidding. The weather surely worked in my favor - I was the only serious bidder and got it for the reserve.

Comment

Not sure but kind of sounded like a retirement or death, selling for someone else sale.
                    Stay tuned. After Christmas I will post details and pictures.
                    Oh hurry, Santa!

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen that particular monarch before, although as you well know they are very highly regarded by some very knowledgeable machinists. It looks to be nice and clean and well looked after.
                      I hope ,and wish you every happiness brother, and also hope you get many years of good use, and fun from it too why not I do from mine. Making myself a machine shop was one of the best retired decisions I ever made,that and my nice big woodshop keep me a happy old bunny. LOL Wow someone's going to get a few mind filled with monarchs and related machines- sleepless nights over the next few weeks. Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

looks a nice machine, I think she's been cherished by someone, I hope the mill works out too
                        Mark

Comment

Looks like a partial recent paint job & missing some bolts on the headstock lid, looks like 2 are holding on. I got one that looks just like it only not as nice in the shop I bought last fall & it's a 16". IMHO if it's close enough I'd go see it & put some $$ down just to be sure you want it & lock in the deal if you do.
                          Last edited by flylo; 12-20-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

A VERY NICE SCORE for you. And given your recent history I can't see it going to a better or more deserving new owner.

You're in for a bit of a drive to get there and pack it up aren't you? This isn't something you can just toss in the back of a half ton.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                              Regarding posting helpful for sale links.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to post a for sale ad or auction listing in order to be helpful. It sure seems like that would be helpful. But now, I don't generally think it is.

Posting it can spoil a deal, or raise the price. You may be alerting a broker or dealer. This happens often with other similar items - vises, for example. Someone posts a link asking if it is a good deal, and poof - gone. Or someone else calls first and gets a 'hold' on the machine.
                              I assume this is aimed at the link I posted. If the OP had not completely given it away by saying Bakersfield CL, I would not have posted the link. Heck, just saying it was on CL was potentially ruining the deal as there are several search engines that will search CL for the whole country. If the OP lists too much information, then the risk is all his. He could have just posted pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X