Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"High Collar" lock washer???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "High Collar" lock washer???

    I am replacing the connecting rods in an old Emglo air compressor. The lock washers on the rods I took out were nearly flat with no "locking" ability as best as I could tell. They are no the run of the mill type. They are muck more narrow and "normal" zinc lock washers will not clear the connecting rod casting. Anyone know if these can be obtained from a Napa or other store besides the McMaster, Grainger etc supply houses?
    Thanks

  • #2
    Those may be socket head capscrew lock washers. Try www.mcmaster.com.

    Comment


    • #3
      What size are the bolts?

      Comment


      • #4
        Lock washers designed for SHCS are what they call high collar.

        I have seen some locks on import machines that look exactly like what your describing, they are flat, maybe they were never tempered.

        JL.................
        Last edited by JoeLee; 12-21-2016, 11:14 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ditto what JoeLee said.

          Our local ACE hardware stocks them in the specialty hardware drawers.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Lock washers designed for SHCS are what they call high collar.

            I have seen some locks on import machines that look exactly like what your describing, they are flat, maybe they were never tempered.

            JL.................
            Thanks. I know of import lock washers. The Chinese hardware IME is generally made of junk. Truth be told I avoid anything and everything chinese. I may get resistance about my anti china sentiment so that's all I better say [emoji16].
            ALL of my machines are usa made.
            Thanks for the tip on getting the washers from the hardware store. I have a good old school Ace hardware near me and I'll check it out. I've noted that the boxes of fasteners they've been getting are MIC . Hopefully the "specialty" boxes are still stocked with some items made of real steel.

            Galaxy S4, Slimkat
            If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

            Comment


            • #7
              Fastenal if you don't mind paying the price.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 1200rpm View Post
                Fastenal if you don't mind paying the price.
                This is one place I avoid.
                The share holder comes before the customer.

                JL......................
                Last edited by JoeLee; 12-22-2016, 09:11 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by challenger View Post
                  I have a good old school Ace hardware near me and I'll check it out. I've noted that the boxes of fasteners they've been getting are MIC . Hopefully the "specialty" boxes are still stocked with some items made of real steel.
                  That's been that way for years,even in industry.Bolt boxes read like the list of United Nations.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 1200rpm View Post
                    Fastenal if you don't mind paying the price.
                    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    This is one place I avoid.
                    The share holder comes before the customer...
                    Yup, I hate Fastenal with a passion. They opened a store "in our building complex" about a year and a half ago--next nearest supplier is about a half mile away. I've been in the Fastenal store no more than a half dozen times since they opened--their prices are insane and the service sucks....
                    Keith
                    __________________________
                    Just one project too many--that's what finally got him...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Last time I went into a Fastenal was for some 1/4" 28 BHCS which the local branch didn't have in stock. There was nobody in the store, never is, the guy played around with the computer for 15 min. and said we have them in our main store, which is about 25 miles away in a near by city.
                      They are 60 cents each, I can bring them in and have them tomorrow when our next delivery guy comes into town. It's $5 to bring them in.
                      I told him to keep them. If you don't want to sell me anything why don't you just say so???
                      I told him I'll be going to the nearest industrial hardware store in that near by town next week, I'll get them there for about .14 cents each.
                      The guys says we have a Fastenal right next door to them........... I said thanks for the warning. I just don't know how they keep the doors open.

                      JL.................

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I needed some #7 drills in the town I live Fastenal is the only place that has them I got 4 2 ran out about 1/8". I dont go into fastenal enless I have to. ken

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Last time I went into a Fastenal was for some 1/4" 28 BHCS which the local branch didn't have in stock. There was nobody in the store, never is, the guy played around with the computer for 15 min. and said we have them in our main store, which is about 25 miles away in a near by city.
                          They are 60 cents each, I can bring them in and have them tomorrow when our next delivery guy comes into town. It's $5 to bring them in.
                          I told him to keep them. If you don't want to sell me anything why don't you just say so???
                          I told him I'll be going to the nearest industrial hardware store in that near by town next week, I'll get them there for about .14 cents each.
                          The guys says we have a Fastenal right next door to them........... I said thanks for the warning. I just don't know how they keep the doors open.

                          JL.................
                          I don't know why they even bother with the retail business. I avoid them for the same reason, a normally in-stock bearing wasn't and they charged me shipping to get some from another store! But yet they're not only staying in business but somehow growing (or at least looking like they're growing.)

                          I think a major part of their business is keeping the screw bins for shops full.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The buyers for big companies are keeping them and MSC and similar companies going. They want the fewest sources that have a lot of items each. Makes it easier for an office person to find industrial things they know nothing about.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
                              I don't know why they even bother with the retail business. I avoid them for the same reason, a normally in-stock bearing wasn't and they charged me shipping to get some from another store! But yet they're not only staying in business but somehow growing (or at least looking like they're growing.)

                              I think a major part of their business is keeping the screw bins for shops full.
                              It's the accounting method they use that makes it look like they are growing. Share holders first.

                              JL..................

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X