Strange Thought - Semi OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Thought - Semi OT

So I was sitting at the dinner table looking at a condiment jar with a paper seal sort of strip across the top and down the sides. This jar has been in use for months so it's not sealed, but I was idly wondering about the lid lining up correctly with the remnants on the jar sides. Okay, not big deal or mystery, it's a four start thread pretty commonly found on containers like this.

And that got me thinking about another recent thread on the forum about a piece of all thread that was a zero start (maybe sell it as "all-groove") and was explaining to the wife about multi start threads. That is, a spiral with a space between grooves so that a second groove could be added in the space between. And of course the old riddle about how many grooves does an LP record have? Just one of course.

But what's the possibility of making a record with two actual grooves in it? Each piece would only run half as long, but you'd have an unusual record that would have two completely different pieces of music on it, and what you heard when you played it would be a random chance of which groove was picked up. About the only other thing I've run into in connection with groove humor was a record back in the 60's that had something actually recorded on the final inner pickup ring. When the stylus got to the center, if it wasn't picked up it would play "Turn me over" <click> "Turn me over" <click>. So you turned it over, played the other side and at the end of side 2 it said "Play me again" <click>.

Probably stuff the hippies thought up lying around listening to music stoned. I hasten to add that at the dinner table I was NOT stoned.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Groovy . . .

Comment

TGTool, tis the season so you could be kind & send me a baggy of "dinner"

Comment

Monty Python
        "Matching Tie and Handkerchief"

Comment

There have been records made with multiple parallel grooves. One in particular that my father told me about had recordings of a horse race with different winners, so you could place bets and the outcome was random. Some interesting variations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusua...ophone_records
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

How do you plug that into a cell phone?

Comment

Anyone knoe the number for 911?

Comment

Thanks, I didn't think to do a Wiki search for that. Looks like it's been well exploited.

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                There have been records made with multiple parallel grooves. One in particular that my father told me about had recordings of a horse race with different winners, so you could place bets and the outcome was random. Some interesting variations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusua...ophone_records
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Interesting concept- it could have been used for four channel recordings, but how to get both needles in the correct grooves each time it's played-
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                    About the only other thing I've run into in connection with groove humor was a record back in the 60's that had something actually recorded on the final inner pickup ring. When the stylus got to the center, if it wasn't picked up it would play "Turn me over" <click> "Turn me over" <click>. So you turned it over, played the other side and at the end of side 2 it said "Play me again" <click>.
                    Monty Python, possibly the "Contractual Obligations" LP had a centre groove on one side too far from the centre to activate arm lift mechanisms and a sketch that ran into the groove which carried the final phrase "Sorry squire, scratched the record" ;-)
                    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

We have an 1880s home with a wind up record player that my sons when young (now 26 & 28) ask why the CDs (78s) were so big.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
                        Monty Python, possibly the "Contractual Obligations" LP had a centre groove on one side too far from the centre to activate arm lift mechanisms and a sketch that ran into the groove which carried the final phrase "Sorry squire, scratched the record" ;-)
                        I'VE GOT THAT ONE ! ! ! And yes, the first time 'round it caught me off guard as well.... well, make that the 5th and 6th time 'round......
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

But what's the possibility of making a record with two actual grooves in it?
                          You might have discovered a superior recording and playback method for use in old school "stereo"

but oh well - too late now

Comment

how many grooves does an LP record have? Just one of course.
                            C'mon, at least get the joke right. You're thinking CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                              C'mon, at least get the joke right. You're thinking CD.
                              Well, when I was a kid it really was a wind up, green army surplus record player with packages of needles that needed replacing at regular intervals. An album wasn't ONE record, it was a hard cover folder with sleeves inside holding a bunch or records. Some things about the good old days really weren't all that wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                              X