My diy home shop anodizing setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My diy home shop anodizing setup

A plastic shoe box with 1 part distilled water and two parts "battery acid" from Napa a couple scrap pieces of aluminum tied together with some 5356 TIG rod or whatever aluminum wire I have laying around.

A Mastech HY3005F-3 AC to DC power supply that I bought a few years ago for testing electrical circuits. Others will work just fine for small parts. Just follow the 720 rule as close as you can. Using a decent power supply allows for precise, constant current, control.

8oz of RIT dye at 100-150 degrees in a $10 stainless stock pot, mixed with a gallon of distilled water, in a $10 stock pot from Walmart.

I anodized this part for 1 hour at 2.8 amps, soaked it in the dye for 8 minutes, then boiled it in distilled water for 10, then cooled it in room temp distilled water for 5 minutes.

Its hard enough that I pressed it into the pictured 4130 tubing and pulled it out without scratching the surface.

Last edited by bgreen776; 12-25-2016, 03:25 AM.

Nice description of the set-up and process. Thanks.

If you had pictures, they did not come through. I see no pictures.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

try it now. I'm a tad slow

Comment

The assembly referenced above.

Comment

I forgot one piece, though I don't know how important it is yet, but in pictures 1, 2, and 3, you can see two tubes coming out of the front of the shoe box. Those tubes go to an aquarium air pump, used to bubble air into the acid bath, keeping the acid circulated well, in order to ensure the temperature of the fluid around the part remains constant.

Also, I created a spread sheet to track my projects, changes, etc. Please let me know if this link doesn't work.
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdu9j9sw4d...zing.xlsx?dl=0

Comment

I've never used Photobucket before, so bare with me if this link to the album doesn't work. Please let me know so I can try to fix it.

http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/Do...rary/Anodizing
            Last edited by bgreen776; 12-25-2016, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Here are your pictures bgreen776:

Last edited by polaraligned; 12-25-2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Comment

It looks very nice. Impressive job. I would like to learn to do this someday.

To put pictures into your post using Photobucket, open Photobucket in another browser tab, then just click in the box on the right hand side of your picture in Photobucket that is labeled IMG, you will see "copied" pop up, then go the browser tab that has your post being written and paste it.

Comment

I have been tempted to try home anodizing for quite some time. Your results are inspirational. I especially find the depth and evenness of the color outstanding. I have read that made for the purpose dyes far outperform using Rit dyes but your results disprove that. I am curious what color Rit dye that part was, some sort of dark orange? I would guess that fabrics and aluminum take the dye differently.

Comment

Will an aquarium pump handle the acid ??? I wouldn't expect it to last very long. BUT I think it's a good idea. Maybe a peristaltic pump would be a better idea. That way the only thing contacting the acid is the tubing.
                      ...lew...

Comment

You don't have to pump the acid for agitation. Usually better to pump air. The typical clear tubing survives the acid OK, but not so for the little porous diffusers that sometimes come with aquarium pumps.

Ed
                        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I think the "pump" is just an aquarium air pump. It is only introducing air and no fluid flows thru it, so there would not be a longevity issue.
                          You can see the air bubbles in the pictures.

Comment

Nice job. beautiful finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                              I have read that made for the purpose dyes far outperform using Rit dyes but your results disprove that. I am curious what color Rit dye that part was, some sort of dark orange? I would guess that fabrics and aluminum take the dye differently.
                              That was my experience with it... red RIT dye came out orangey like in the pic. Unsurprisingly the proper red from Caswell comes out a nice deep red. Black RIT came out splotchy blue for me, while proper stuff deep black.

Supposedly it's a question of molecule size in the tints, with the fabric dye sometimes using ones that are too big to fit in the pores of the anodized aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                              X