Swarf Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarf Art

You know it's happened to you - you make a cut in a specific material at a certain rate/depth and speed and there it is on the floor, math in one of it's most unique forms staring back at you

It's Swarf art and its suitable for framing, (at least for guys like us)

this happened tonight while making some keys with some UHMW,

just as beautiful and detailed as a flower...

there's a perfect spiral hole down the center so stuck it on the drill bit to take a picture...

If you got some swarf art post it

Skiing in aluminum:

Comment

Damn nice - there's some RPM's and feed rate going one there, and the depth of cut speaks for itself.

I actually think there's stuff that could come out of it so unique that if you learn the "recipe" and have a CNC machine a guy could make a living out of it...

but you would have to keep evolving because everyone would be doing it in short order...

Comment

We had to the art dept of the local university come to collect swarf from the bins quite often, buckets of 6s and 9s off the big lathes taking 1/2 or deeper cuts, the thin film interference giving all sorts of blue, bronze colours, I never saw the end product but the bins were pretty
        Mark

Comment

Here's one I photographed several years ago.
          Harold

For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
          Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

I vote you the winner so far - you not only know how to take a great pic you put it in a frame!

really is awesome looking thanks for posting it.

Comment

To the swarf artists, can you sell some of your work for outrageous sums to support your shop?

Comment

That's what I was thinking, but in a less practical sense, after seeing Harold's pic I think that's the way to go just sell prints,,, would make "taking your work home with you" a little less stressful...

I would like to know the story on Elf's pic - were you friction-stirring at high RPM's or is that an actually cutting bit?

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                  To the swarf artists, can you sell some of your work for outrageous sums to support your shop?
                  From my perspective, the answer is a resounding NO. The only way to make money is for a company to hire you to capture images of their products .... as in advertising images.

Harold
                  For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
                  Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    . . .is that an actually cutting bit?
                    Looks like an actually busted bit to me.

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                      Looks like an actually busted bit to me.

yes whatever it is it gave up the ghost, im sure there's an interesting story behind that one... I do not know what that red collar is or what it's for...

Comment

I do not know what that red collar is or what it's for...
                        It's how the small carbide drills are ID'd. The plastic collar gives them more room for printing.
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I would like to know the story on Elf's pic - were you friction-stirring at high RPM's or is that an actually cutting bit?
                          That's my story, "Friction-stirring at high RPM's", and I'm sticking to it

Actually, the settings were somehow set for double the normal speed and depth. The bit was one I had been using for quite a while, so it may have been a bit dull as well. I was just a tiny bit too slow hitting the Emergency Stop button. Fortunately it didn't ruin the part.

The plastic ring is used for setting the bit in a tool holder at repeatable depths and also IDs the bit.

Comment

It's amazing when you magnify anything, it's like a different world, I had a SEM photograph once of an alumina inclusion in steel, it looked like the Grand Canyon, the microscope reveals another universe just like the telescope, makes you wonder about our actual position on the size scale, top or bottom, I wonder sometimes.
                            I have a few carbide drills I bought in a set, Chinese but ok, they all have coloured collars, actually the collars seem to help, perhaps they add stiffness or damp resonance, I don't know
                            Mark

Comment

Harold, great image, thanks for posting it. for those of us trying to do better with our photography, can you give some comments on how you set up the lighting? That's some great visual appeal you've created....it would be great to see more of your work

Comment

Working...
                              X